I Forge Iron

January Meeting

Hey gang. The next club meeting is at Pat's in Palmer, that's the Arctic Fires Bronze on outer Springer Lp. No do NOT turn off the Glenn Hwy on Outer Springer!!! Go a little farther and turn on Inner Springer, follow it to the end and turn left, Pat's place is about 1/4 mile on the left. If you're coming from the Palmer direction turn by the Fair Grounds main entrance and follow it around the turn at the golf course Pat's place is a mile or so on the right.

When is it you ask? Good question lads. It's Saturday, Jan, 23rd. They usually get going around 9:00-9:30 am. and last usually till around 5:00pm. but Pat's not known for throwing folk out and locking the doors.

There's usually something tasty for lunch but sides, snacks and beverages are always welcome.

Jer AKA Frosty The Lucky.

What gear to bring Frosty? I have my portable anvil I used for farrier work when I did that plus some tongs and a hammer.  

Sorry for missing the meetings in the summer. It's as though the helicopters were conspiring against me but I'm making this one dang it  

Thanks,

The lost Cajun. 

that sounds like good stuff to bring. I typically try to bring my small forge and my anvil if I am feeling frisky. Also select tongs and hand tools I think I might use. 

Pat has a nice gas forge that will accommodate more steel than people standing in front of it..and at least one anvil, but the more the merrier. 

Not sure we have any demos scheduled. I am planning to bring the flux I am working on for everyone to try out if they would like. 

I will be doing the gun show in Wasilla Jan.23 - 24. I talked to Pat and plan to do a demo on hinge making at his shop on Friday the 15th of Jan. at 7:00 pm should be late enough for anyone from Anc. who would like to come. We expect to be finished by 9:00. I will be only working on the version of strap hinge I normally make, if someone wants to demo a different type if they are efficent there should be time. Mark

1 hour ago, CJinAK said:

Hello All. I am new to AK and have wanted to learn smithing for some time now. Do you all allow spectators to come and watch you work at your gatherings?  I would like to see what is needed to get started. 

Allow? We encourage visitors.  Feel free to come. I drive by eagle river on the way, you could follow me if you want.

28 minutes ago, teenylittlemetalguy said:

Allow? We encourage visitors.  Feel free to come. I drive by eagle river on the way, you could follow me if you want.

Outstanding!  I am looking forward to meeting you guys. And the War Department will be elated to get me out of her hair for a day!  

Good to see the whirlybirds have let you take a break Cajun. I'll be bringing my anvil and enough to put a brick pile forge together if we need another. I never did get the new one tuned and it's too cold to be messing with refractories right now. <sigh>

Our meetings are open CJ and we're always looking for new folk so please come on out.

On occasion we have clinics we hire demonstrators to teach at and those are pay to play. Not meetings and hammer ins though, the more the merrier.

Jer

• 1 month later...

Hey gang! The January meeting is THIS Saturday the 23rd. at "Arctic Fires Bronze" in Palmer. A quick web search will provide directions better than my memory can.

I'll be bringing my anvil and basic tools for another forge station. We can try making hinges the way Mark showed us last Saturday. Seeing as I don't have the tools Mark used we may get to make a mandrel and maybe a nice size hot cut like he uses.

We can have an open forge as well, if you have a project you need some help with bring it along I'm sure someone there will know what to do or be able to figure it out.

See you there. I'll be wearing the "Frosty The Lucky." Iforge Iron T shirt.

Frosty The Lucky.

A brief report on today's meeting. We had a number of people shopping a meeting, several new members actually signed up and paid dues!!  :D

My hat's off to you Glenn, I didn't do a survey but it seems that most of our recent new members heard about us through Iforge! Wicked cool.

Several so far visitors took a hammer to hot steel for the first time, one a Father Son team did quite well, Son made a decent pry bar from a potato rake bar. Dad turned out a pair of very workable steak turners. Heck it seemed steak turners were the project of the day. I think mostly thanks to Jim Hutto's steak turner demonstration after his twist demos.

The business part of the meeting went quickly but we got a lot decided. First order was discussing the up coming Mark Aspery clinic. We're budgeted and have two officers ironing out details.

Another bit of business is directly related to the hansom growth spurt the Association is undergoing. Members have been outnumbered by visitors at meetings for a year or so now and guys have been joining. We now have a large enough membership we're changing the meeting schedule from quarterly to BI-MONTHLY!! That's right you AAB members who couldn't make it our next meeting isn't in April, it's in MARCH! :D

I posed the suggestion we adopt a club business card, I've been handing out mine to interested folk. That's okay but I figured a club card would look less like I'm trying to drum up business for myself. That discussion drew a consensus that we need a better contact than me and GLORY BE one of our new members is an IT and is now the club web master. WE have a list mom for the cub Email list already. Now we're going officially on-line! We'll have a real website to list here.

All these cool new things will take some discussion but it's in the works. I can't wait till Pat tallies up the current membership, I think it grew by 4-5 guys today.

It was a great meeting! See you guys at the next one, it's being held at Jim Hutto's in Anchorage he'll be posting details on his web site is http://www.iforgeiron.com/profile/39490-nanooks-anvil/

I think that's it for now but I'm sure I'll remember more later.

Frosty The Lucky.