I Forge Iron

Non functional Blowers "Picture Heavy"

Duckwalk

So im going to a blacksmith collectors "yard" tomorrow to sort through and pick stuff out that i would like to purchase. he has plenty of small working hand cranks for $75 and alot that dont work for im hoping somewhere around $20. What are some things i should look out for? i talked with turbo in chat today and he recomend that i take some pliers, screwdrivers and an adjustable wrench wtith me. Then he had to go, once i get ahold of one that is frozen up or doesnt work, what do i need to look for as far as making sure its worth the $20 or so dollars?

Bright pocket flashlight along with the tools.  Possibly something like a dental mirror too.  

The parts that will bite you are broken gear teeth or impeller blades.  The rest is pretty bullet-proof as long as things aren't so badly rusted that you will damage it when disassembling.  

At $ 20 bucks I'd buy several because you can make good money refurbishing and reselling--just choose the best for you and put the others on the back burner until you have spare time.

Since time is money you might also consider if the savings is actually worth the difference in cost between a working unit and an unknown unit.  Doesn't take many hours of fiddling to chew up that $ difference based on what you think you can get a "fixer" for.

I picked this up today for $30 and well as taken by suggestion from the chat room guys, im letting this puppy sit atleast overnight before i try and torque some screws loose that i have penetrating oil on. I will post the process of me restoring this to like day number one.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/sesapex/20151207_132656_zpsonu79hvp.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/sesapex/20151207_132706_zpsnh1vxxpk.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/sesapex/20151207_132712_zpsglrj3kyi.jpg

Keep us updated on what you find inside, bearings and gear wear would be the likely worst faults. Neither of which needs to be a serious pain to rectify, even with the basic of equipment/tools......provided you have the time and basic skill levels.

Well, the lid popped right off this morning! The gears seem to be in pretty good shape. Lots of rust between the teeth but thats all it is. nothing a little WD-40 and wire brush cant fix! There was a lose screw on the inside laying on top of a gear. im assuming some sort of locking screw to hold the gear in place?

20151208_103242.jpg

20151208_103302.jpg

20151208_103311.jpg

Well sorry for the picture heavy thread. After the use of a propane tourch and some elbow grease the fan cover came off today too. To my surprise all the fan blades are intact and not rusted through. next thing is to remove the fan and then the back fan case from the gear case.

20151208_161108.jpg

20151208_161115.jpg