I Forge Iron

First knife WIP

JHCC

Okay, here's the knife with the cracked section ground out. Not 100% happy with the profile, but that can be tweaked.

There's some warpage in the blade, but I'm hoping that can be diminished (if not eliminated) in grinding the final bevels.

IMG_20160103_201113818.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's done. A lot of things I'm not happy about, but I was able to grind out a lot of the warpage, fit a decent handle, and do my first electrochemically etched logo. For my first student piece, it'll do.

I will say, the balance is perfect: maybe a millimeter forward of dead center over my index finger.

This is my first knife, a modified Nessmuk made from a lawnmower blade, some bits of brass and copper from an old toilet flushing mechanism, and a chunk of curly applewood from the firewood pile. A lot of things I'm not happy about, but a lot of good lessons learned. 

IMG_20160123_220201194.jpg

Handle close-up

IMG_20160123_230938415.jpg

Electrochemically etched monogram

IMG_20160123_231033667.jpg

I recall your other thread about this knife blade, and the issue that caused you to modify the profile. It still succeeds. I like the design of your monogram too. Hopefully this comment doesn't disappear as well when I hit "submit reply".

Robert

• 2 months later...

Okay, the saga continues. I've been working on the second blade in the photos above, and here it is, ground, filed, hardened, and tempered. Heated to critical, water-quenched, two hour-long cycles in the oven at 375°. Got some finishing work to do, but no warping or twisting this time.

IMG_20160423_220102362.jpg

• 1 month later...