I Forge Iron

Help with first anvil

Okay so a little back story on this anvil. This is sitting in the yard of my father in laws recently deceased best friends property.  His widow, who is 90 and still sharp as a razor, doesn't care if I take it. But, she said it is up to her children what to do with it. I am still waiting to hear back from them. Even if they want to keep it for some reason I will try to convince them to shelter it out of the elements. There is a good chance I will get it for free though.

So here are the pics I took on Saturday. I forgot my ball bearings, we were really there for a family visit, so I did not have a chance to test the tone or rebound. Any idea what anvil this is? Is it salvageable? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

Thanks

That is a Fisher, an excellent maker. Mine is 260# and was made in 1907. They are great for urban smiths because they do not ring. That is because they have a cast iron body with a tool steel top on both the body, and horn. They usually have the weight, and date cast onto them down by the feet.

If you get that for free, you definitely need to do something VERY nice for them....

Thanks Biggundoctor,

So the rust and chips are not a concern? I assume I can clean it up pretty easily and the amount of chips are minimal. Let me re-phrase what I said earlier. I will most likely get it for free, but I want to give Dorothy (the widow) something for it. She needs a lot of work done around the house so I was planning on offering my services, gutters, painting, potholes etc... If she doesn't want the help or the kids ask for cash, what would be a reasonable offer?

I have a Fisher anvil that a friend gave me. Mines not in nearly as good of condition as this one. The entire back end has been taken off of mine. Otherwise it's a good anvil. It hardly makes a sound when I'm hammering. Despite all the abuse that mine has had, it still hasn't fallen apart.

Yes and Yes ($1-$3 if it's in Ohio I wouldn't go high; Ohio's full of anvils most of mine were bought there with an average price for good name anvils in great shape of under US$1 of course that was a decade ago and the internet has probably ruined the localization of anvil prices...) 

Thanks Thomas,

If I would have been interested in blacksmithing a couple years ago, I know the previous owner would have given it to me, just to see it go to good use. You know I have been walking by that anvil for over 7 years and never really saw it there. If she gives it to me I will hand her a $100 and clean her over flowing gutters, which I plan on doing no matter what happens.

Value is what you can afford, and both parties are happy when they walk away....

I paid around $1 a pound for all of mine, but others are happy to spend $4-$5 a pound. At that level I can buy a BIG chunk of scrap, and have plenty left over to make a forge, get a post vise, tongs, hardies, etc..... Essentially a whole smithy for what they would spend on just the anvil. 

Fishers are great anvils, no doubt about that, so it is up to you to determine what it is worth to you. Sometimes bartering is better all around. You do some work for her, and you get the anvil in return. Win, win.  

Also if there was an anvil, there may be other tools hidden around there. A good raking may turn up some half buried items.