I Forge Iron

Normal Wax

My wife gets the inexpensive candles at discount stores(Dollar General, etc.) They are usually made of parrafin.
She saves the 'stubs' for me. I take 'em to the shop to use for simple finishes.
I can't recall having any problems with 'a deep red color' though.
I sometimes touch a bit of candle to a warm punch or pair of tongs......merely as a rust preventative.

It is probably the oxidation. Once you are done forgins, let it cool down and clean the piece with wire brush/wheel then heat it and then apply the wax. With the low heat needed for the wax application, you shouldn't have any issues with oxidation. Doing this, I didn't have any issues with coloration.

I'd guess that the red color comes from rust that was on the piece before you began forging and stayed on the areas that you didn;t get as hot as the heated and forged areas. For instance, if you are making an S-hook, the two ends are heated to a forging heat which burns the rust from the surface. The area toward the middle of the hook probably didn't get hot enough to burn the rust off and it got dirty/sooty from being near the fire. as you put the wax onto the surface, the dirty stuff is cleaned off and red (rust) shows thru.

If you want to use parrafin , you can buy it at many grocery stores in blocks. This is usually a cheaper source of parrafin than a candle, votive or otherwise.