I Forge Iron

Centaur Vulcan Firepot

anybody have an opinion on this firepot from centaur forge. not sure if I should buy this or make one. I don't have access to to much heavy plate. I've used most of it up. I'm wanting to get a forge built so bad I can taste it. how heavy are these and how long would they last.
They also have a heavy duty one from 3/4" stuff not sure what would be the best to get. I'm just trying to make the best decision and get or make something that will last for awhile.
I got some canvas while out yesterday to make my bellows with.
went to my nieces house for christmas and my wife had told them I wanted some coal they looked around but only came up with some hardwood charcoal. heck that aint bad. My brother in law said getting me some coal for christmas was just plain wrong. I just grinned at him. then neices husband works for the railroad and said he would try to get me a bunch of coal. aint the good stuff but free.
mark

I cannot understand why you would not be able to achieve welding heat or worry about the pot not taking it. I have a Centaur round pot in the trailer forge and am happy with it. It came with their tuyere /ash dump. I replaced the old pot and am happy with the results. MERRY CHRISTMAS. You need to hook up with some BAM members.

bluecarpentar

Look at BP0133 the original 55 Forge. That forge and simple tuyere took 3 years of welding heat. The forge was kept outside all year long in the weather. At the end of the 3 years, I lost maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch of metal to the heat. I just drilled another hole for the grate and put it back in service. YMMV

Ok I went and looked at the PB0133. call me a little dense but were did you loose the 1/2 to 3/4" of metal at. on the blow tube. I like what I see. did ya use exhaust pipe. I have drill stem pipe I may use some how or other. and it is a toss up on wanting a method of removing clinkers out the bottom verus the top. And just looking at the ready made firepot as they have the qinks worked out of it and might use less fuel than if i made my own. just don't know.

Hope ya'll don't mind my questions. I'm enjoying this site.
I do need to rejoin BAM. the only problem most of the meetings are so darn far away.

I did not loose track of the 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch material, I tried to suggested that if a exhaust pipe from a automobile can last for 3 years at welding heat in a forge, a thicker material would be expected to last even longer.

The forge proved my point, then dropped a single disk brake rotor into the 55 Forge to create a fire pot. That lasted until I found another rotor that was a bit deeper and I am currently trying that combination in the forge. BP0518 Making a Forge Pot

That forge uses a different ash dump. It is shown in the BP.

I have one of Roger Lorrances pots in the home forge and I have a few other pots laying around. The ONLY issues I have ever seen with pots being a problem was a round pot on ( I believe ) Canedy Otto forge. I have 2 of them ( forges). One cracked ( forge table ) and the other one is still in the stowage building. The pot on the cracked forge eventually got too thin. I had just repaired the cracked table with some angle iron bolted to the underside for support. Finally tired of this and built the current forge table from some 7 ga plate and got one of Rogers' pots. I will never burn it out in my lifetime. Someome may have his phone number but I alas have lost it years ago. The Centaur round pot in the trailer is not quite as thick but I have no issues with it. BAM members could for sure hook you up with good pots.

4586.attach