I Forge Iron

Can a sledghammer head work as an anvil?

While an eight-pound anvil sounds anything but ideal to me, at a cost of 0 dollars, it's hard to beat. We've got an old sledgehammer, and I don't even need to take off the head to use it like this, so I was wondering: Could it work? The edges are somewhat rounded, but I'm mainly looking at knife-making anyhow so the need for a horn is minimal, and my friend has a real anvil (Problem is, 45 minute drive away...) so if I ever do need one, I have access to one. But I want some professional opinions before spending a few hours jury-rigging and perfecting it: Could it work?

And somewhat more importantly, yes, the sledgehammer in question is very good quality and does have rebound (Figure that that's important) and a hickory handle, so I could even mount it standing up as long as I avoid that and get a somewhat larger anvil face.

Projects I'm looking at are some sheath knives, a set of tongs, and maybe (Far in the future) an axe head of some sort.

The only thing I'd say about using a sledge hammer is that it will warm up quite quickly, and will get hot to the touch in no time at all. Just be careful you don't lean on it and burn your hand.. like I did. 

There is an advantage of a warm anvil, in that your work won't cool as quickly so you can work for longer. 

All the best

Andy

Good to know! I'm going to be buying the stuff to make myself a slip-on horn and getting another sledge so I don't have to use our only one, along with a cross pein hammer, today, so I should be able to get the stuff all put together and mounted to a log today. I think I'm going to do a temporary mounting first, just to test out the system and make myself a horn, then I'll move to something more permanent afterwards.