I Forge Iron

Can a sledghammer head work as an anvil?

While an eight-pound anvil sounds anything but ideal to me, at a cost of 0 dollars, it's hard to beat. We've got an old sledgehammer, and I don't even need to take off the head to use it like this, so I was wondering: Could it work? The edges are somewhat rounded, but I'm mainly looking at knife-making anyhow so the need for a horn is minimal, and my friend has a real anvil (Problem is, 45 minute drive away...) so if I ever do need one, I have access to one. But I want some professional opinions before spending a few hours jury-rigging and perfecting it: Could it work?

And somewhat more importantly, yes, the sledgehammer in question is very good quality and does have rebound (Figure that that's important) and a hickory handle, so I could even mount it standing up as long as I avoid that and get a somewhat larger anvil face.

Projects I'm looking at are some sheath knives, a set of tongs, and maybe (Far in the future) an axe head of some sort.

yes though of course the bigger the sledge the better!  I like a 20#'r (haven't found a 32 pounder real cheap yet...) There is a youtube of a kukri  maker using a sledge head for an anvil---but note he has *thousands* of hours of experience using it.    I have a small cube anvil with a spike on the bottom for mounting in a stump---weighs about 25 pounds and was based on historical examples dating from roman, viking, medieval, spanish colonial, French and Indian War, etc times.

Micah, there was a video posted on here a while back of people forging knives using a sledge hammer head mounted in the ground. Sure it can work for you. Best thing would be to give it a go and see how it works for you. It takes practice to get good at things so get started and you can improve your skills, and equipment, as you go. 

16 minutes ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Happens to us all, lol. We all trip over our fingers (and toungs) at times

Charles, you've been spelling better lately. You feeling ok? :) 

8 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

yes though of course the bigger the sledge the better!  I like a 20#'r (haven't found a 32 pounder real cheap yet...) There is a youtube of a kukri  maker using a sledge head for an anvil---but note he has *thousands* of hours of experience using it.    I have a small cube anvil with a spike on the bottom for mountain in a stump---weighs about 25 pounds and was based on historical examples dating from roman, viking, medieval, spanish colonial, French and Indian War, etc times.

ooh, that gives me an idea. If that's the case with sledges, and the spike anvil is a thing,. I have an eight pound splitting maul which we don't use at all. I could grind it down a bit so it's less likely to split the log upon repeated hits, and it should work fine.

And I'll look at bigger sledges at Harbor freight, the steel for their hand tool heads is surprisingly good

1 minute ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

A 4"+ drop from a scrap yard works aswell. The first anvils didnt have  tool steel faces, they were just lumps of iron. 

True, though doesn't wrought iron (Original anvil stock) work harden well, or am I remembering things wrong?

Just now, Charles R. Stevens said:

So dose most steel, thats the principle behind braneiling

Oooh, the possibilities. 

So, there's a type of stainless steel (T304) that has an interesting property of not responding to heat treating but work hardening incredibly well. Could make good anvil faces. But theory and reality and their incredible disparities.

I have a student who decided to switch from History/Philosophy to metallurgy in college this year.  I asked him how good his calc was as that's generally the gating item for success in that field in college.  Remember what I tell folks---a 1000 hours using a $0 improvised set up will make you a far better smith than 0 hours using a $1000 set up!

TP is one of the smiths I recomend you listen to, 

we can get you set up cheep, and show you how to do dangerus things in relitive safty. If Frosty can reforge a bent set of log tongs with a canp fire, a clae hammer and a wooden stump, I think a sledge head, a 2# cross pein and a box of dirt will serve you well

12 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I have a student who decided to switch from History/Philosophy to metallurgy in college this year.  I asked him how good his calc was as that's generally the gating item for success in that field in college.  Remember what I tell folks---a 1000 hours using a $0 improvised set up will make you a far better smith than 0 hours using a $1000 set up!

I think that quote is one of my new favorites! And yeah, so far, spent $0 on it and forged about 3-4 hours. Nothing useful really came out other than a drifted hole which saved me a couple bucks instead of ruining a drill bit, so I'd say I've broke even so far!

And of course, all else failing, I have many logs that could be anvils too.

A 12lb metal handled splitting maul worked well for me at the start. Find a stump with from a tree that was slightly rotten in the core that you can drive the handle through and use that to secure everything down. the flat(ish) surface you get is a bit bigger than a hammer head and you can pull it out to use the bit of the maul as a hot cut when you need one.

Also, Thomas Powers is definately one of the folks you listen to. Charles too. I've been hard headed about a few of his recommendations but he has been right in the end every single time for me!