I Forge Iron

Charcoal forge fire

Fenrisulfr

Hi all,i'm new to the forum and also kind of new to blacksmithng,started this summer but didn't spend too many hours on it,so i'm still a newbie. But the other day i realized that my fire isn't "clean",the piece i'm working always end up being very rough on the surface thanks to the heavy scaling i guess.It doens't happens all the times(most of the times on smaller projects,like knives or necklaces) so i'd like to figure out how to keep it cleaner, i've been scouring the internet for some hours now and i didn't find anything helpful. Everyone seems to be using coal D:

Any suggestions?

A pic would be helpful, is it hard like a layer of scale or it could be scale marks from it on the anvil and the texture is getting hammered into it.  Could be ash and gunk from the fire? I'm sure there are lots of ? I didn't ask but a pic would be helpful

I don't do that everytime,only when there are a lot of scales,also what temperature range shoul di heat high carbon steel for forgin?i think i might be heating it too much,often to yellow,i can't still quite control the temperature,also because my forge tends to get obstructed and the air flow isn't always the same,I might modify it.

Depends on the carbon content for heat, high orenge to low yellow. 

To much air will exaserbate your scalling problems, placing the stock to low in the fire ball is the same as to much air. Some scalling is expected, heat, brush, forge...

but to long in the fire, to much air, to low in the fire all lead to more scale. 

Either move the hair dryer back from the tuyeer so air escapes, open the ash dump so air escapes (bottom blast) or install a gate. Charcoal needs just enugh air. It will get almost as hot as coal, but as it is less dense, you burn a higher volume, and coals can be blown out of the fire. Keep your fire small, and just enugh air.