I Forge Iron

TITT &C

Bud in PA

way back in the day they didnt have the ability to make a quality iron screw box (that was affordable) so they were cast from brass. this was a cheaper and more familiar technique. even later vises tended to have the threads brazed in as apposed to machined from one block of iron. i (and im sure others) wouldnt hesitate to buy a vise with a brass screw box as long as the threads where in good shape.

I am just looking on Eb and the local list. That was the first one I saw with a brass screw box. Being new to this I like to ask questions to those with more experience. The chat room on the list saved me from making a mistake purchasing an anvil. I am not ready to buy a post vise especially at the prices I see on the web. Either I'm poorer then I think I am, or there are a lot of crazy people selling on the web.

11 hours ago, Bud in PA said:

I am just looking on Eb and the local list. That was the first one I saw with a brass screw box. Being new to this I like to ask questions to those with more experience. The chat room on the list saved me from making a mistake purchasing an anvil. I am not ready to buy a post vise especially at the prices I see on the web. Either I'm poorer then I think I am, or there are a lot of crazy people selling on the web.

It's not you, prices are crazy on eBay and auctions but you should be able to find some deals near you or do some driving, I'm from bottom southeastern corner of PA I haven't paid more then $30 for a leg vise, and found some anvils from $.75-$2/lbs, so deals are still around. 

I just put an offer of $25 on a ratty looking vise.With shipping it will cost me a little bit over $50. I am putting a lean to on the back of the garage until I can clean out the garage. My hopes are to put a shop in it. I have a Smithy machine which I have never had the ability to set up and use, if I remember how. So I have the possibility of of repairing things like old vises.