I Forge Iron

New to blacksmithing, looking to learn

Logan Barrett

Hi my name is Logan, I'm a mason by trade but looking to apprentice under a blacksmith to learn a new trade and for fill a life long dream of becoming a blacksmith. I was  referred to this sight by Vince at Lakeside Forge. I'm located in wasilla and am willing and eager to learn. Thank you for any help concerning this matter.

On November 12, 2015 at 5:44:36 PM, IronWolf said:

I think he went south to Ca & melted but luck has it they had a bucket so they can bring him back to Alaska

& he will be just as good as new  :o   He's around somewhere

send him a PM just click on his name

You wouldn't happen to know of anyone willing to teach me or someone I could apprentice under would you?

There seems like a goodly number of members here from AK. I'm sure when Frosty gets back he'll help hook you up with those in his area. You might want to take a minute and add your location to your profile so we always know where you are at. It helps when asking questions if when the person replying realizes you are just down the road from them.

The best description of this I know of is over at anvilfire.com, go to the drop down menu in the upper right: Navigate Anvilfire, then select 21st Century and click on Apprenticeships  

For a couple of general comments: apprenticeships were based on trading labor for instruction.  How much is an hour of highly trained 1 on 1 instruction worth in terms of unskilled labor? How many apprentices are willing to work that much, week after week, to gain the instruction time?

In the USA an apprentice is often a risk of losing everything that the shop owner has due to insurance/medical reasons. Are you willing to bet your house, car, shop, savings on an unknown person? (all the insurance policies I have read *require* you to sue any third party people involved or they don't have to pay out.)

Mr Powers, thank you for your insight. It's sad to see a system that created so many fine craftsman die. The last sentence you posted is a scary reminder of the world we live in. When I was a kid my father would send me to his craftsman friends and I would work for them in exchange for learning a new craft. I loved it! All that said, I don't want to hijack a thread. Once again Mr. Powers, thank you for your insight. Mountainjack.

edit. I read the anvilfire article you suggested. Good read!!

Aprinteceships have also evolved, now they are the perveiw of trade unions and state licenses. So a young adult coming out of a trade school, into a trade requiring a license has to hire on with a licensed trades man or join the union to meet the requirements to advance, some by hours, some buy testing most both. As a jorneyman tey again have calander experiance as well as test requirments. As blacksmithing is now an art form (at best) or a hobby (at worst) their are no US trade schools and unions. I belive the comonwelth contries may have some hold outs.