I Forge Iron

Die size/thickness for Guillotines/Smithing magicians

KYBOY

Hey guys...We'er getting to ready to make some new tooling. We have a homemade guillotine that's been a good one and taken much abuse but years ago when it was made the only thing we had to make dies with was 3/8" thick bar..Didn't take long to find out that 3/8" was a bit too thin for many things..Ive noticed that the smithing magician has 3/4" thick dies and most C frame guillotines have at least 1/2"...What thickness dies do you prefer? Not really talking about the shape or type of die just the starting thickness.

Greetings Kyboy,

I have several gillotine set ups.. I designed the original forming lower die for the Mr. Hoffman. His series used 3/4 in thick dies. I have modified ones with thinner dies by welding the desired thicker form on both top and bottom dies using the thin part just to guide it in the frame.. Another trick is to use a long flat block for the bottom die so that only the top die makes an impression or form.. Great tools and easily modified to suit your needs.. I hope this helps.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim