I Forge Iron

FIRST ANVIL

I just acquired a Hay-Budden anvil. This is my first anvil. i was on the chat last night explaining my idea of buying a dead anvil and welding a piece of steel on it to get a decent anvil for fairly cheap price. I used to be a welder in a machine shop a time ago. Well a few of the people on the chat tried to dissuwade  me. One advantage of being old is the experience, after I realized that they were right I started to look for an anvil again. I found a Hay-Budden that is in better then average condition. The fellow said that he weighed it and got around 100 lbs., I weighed it on my bathroom scale and got 92 to 93 lbs. It is clearly marked Hay-Budden and has the number 89 marked on it. The front left foot, looking at the horn has the number A31572 marked on it. The ring is good and so is the rebound, like I said this is my first one so I'm nol expert on this. The face is very flat and a little discolored. The one edge is perfect while the other has some nicks, the horn is fairly smooth with the point buggered up. I noticed when looking for an anvil that this is common, Was this done on purpose ? The hardie hole is 1 inch and the pritchel hole is about 1/2 inch.. I am glad that I took the advice of those more experienced members, and a big thank you to all who set me straight. Anybody know what those numbers mean? I will post pictures as soon as my son comes by and shows  me how.

Very common to have a blunted horn, sharpen it back up and then ram your leg or wedding tackle on it and you may find yourself grabbing a hammer and re-blunting it!  If you need a fine point make a bic for the hardy hole. (I've done several bics using bull pins...)

89 is what they weighed it as at the factory, anvils tend to have some "slop" to the weights---as do bathroom scales...  The serial number can be correlated with the date made using "Anvils In America"; but my copy is at home...

Excellent brand and a handy weight too---light enough to travel with you even if you anvil up later for a larger shop anvil.

Great anvil in my opinion. I have one similar with a slightly smaller hardy hole. Yeah the horn can be cleaned up easy. Could have just been from the use the previous owner did. Get it on a stand and get using it. Both my anvils are around 100# and so far I haven't been worried about a bigger one. Even forged 2  3# hammers on em. 

Yeah we like pictures :) 

It will probably be next week before I can try it. Too many other jobs around the homestead to finish up before I start on that. I've got to get the chainsaw running so I can cut a maple log to mount it on. I've got to finish the leanto on the back of the garage where I intend to put my forge. Too much to do too little time to do it.

7 hours ago, Bud in PA said:

I just acquired a Hay-Budden anvil. This is my first anvil. i was on the chat last night explaining my idea of buying a dead anvil and welding a piece of steel on it to get a decent anvil for fairly cheap price. I used to be a welder in a machine shop a time ago. Well a few of the people on the chat tried to dissuwade  me. One advantage of being old is the experience, after I realized that they were right I started to look for an anvil again. I found a Hay-Budden that is in better then average condition. The fellow said that he weighed it and got around 100 lbs., I weighed it on my bathroom scale and got 92 to 93 lbs. It is clearly marked Hay-Budden and has the number 89 marked on it. The front left foot, looking at the horn has the number A31572 marked on it. The ring is good and so is the rebound, like I said this is my first one so I'm nol expert on this. The face is very flat and a little discolored. The one edge is perfect while the other has some nicks, the horn is fairly smooth with the point buggered up. I noticed when looking for an anvil that this is common, Was this done on purpose ? The hardie hole is 1 inch and the pritchel hole is about 1/2 inch.. I am glad that I took the advice of those more experienced members, and a big thank you to all who set me straight. Anybody know what those numbers mean? I will post pictures as soon as my son comes by and shows  me how.

The A31572 is the serial number, and according to AIA book, it was made in 1921.   The 89 on the front is the weight in lbs that HB stamped on it at the factory.