I Forge Iron

Broken Cadet Sword

NickTopeka

While making questionable decisions this family heirloom was broken.  While a replacement is possible it is unlikely that the engraving on the blade would remain the same and I am interested in retaining the old sword if it can be repaired.  Is it possible to rejoin the 2 pieces without altering the engraving work?  If so, where should i take the sword?  Thanks!

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

Welcome aboard Nick, glad to have you.

I don't know of any method that wouldn't damage the engraving. I think your best option is to make a display case or frame for it as it is. You DON'T want to epoxy it together do you? :o

I think about a 1/4"-1/2" gap would be about right. Trying to hide that it's broken won't work and would look tacky. There's no dishonor or shame in a broken sword but trying to hide the break would look much worse than just showing it.

I've found that if a mistake or flaw can't be corrected making it a feature can turn it into a bonus. Not that this is ever going to be a positive feature but it's not really a bad thing. Heck, just think of the stories you can tell about breaking it over a dwarf's head in the Elf wars.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

What I would do if it were an heirloom of mine, would be to cut it off near the guard, then weld the remaining portion of the blade there and keep it as a wall hanger. You could make it look pretty good that way, it'd just be a tad shorter. Wouldn't have to worry about joining the engravings, either.

On 10/31/2015, 4:19:19, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Nick, glad to have you.

I don't know of any method that wouldn't damage the engraving. I think your best option is to make a display case or frame for it as it is. You DON'T want to epoxy it together do you? :o

I think about a 1/4"-1/2" gap would be about right. Trying to hide that it's broken won't work and would look tacky. There's no dishonor or shame in a broken sword but trying to hide the break would look much worse than just showing it.

I've found that if a mistake or flaw can't be corrected making it a feature can turn it into a bonus. Not that this is ever going to be a positive feature but it's not really a bad thing. Heck, just think of the stories you can tell about breaking it over a dwarf's head in the Elf wars.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree with Frosty on all of this, with one possible exception. When I was working in the art restoration studio, we had a similar piece that the customer did NOT want seen as broken, so we made mounted it on a wall plaque with one of the mounting brackets neatly covering the break.