I Forge Iron

a Detroit diesel , Frosty favorite?

ianinsa

Detroits are ok for constant speed/ stationary engines, like gens, a/ comps, etc. good on fuel and run cool, but don't lug to save it's life. if it has the mechanical fuel pump on it, pull it off ( has 2 bolts on it) and check the little square drive sleave, and the condition of the pump and engine drives. and remember they leak oil.... if it doesn't it's out of oil!!!

I have a 6V53T in my 1963 B Mack firetruck.  Yes, is has a turbocharger and the internal supercharger.  The muffler is over 5' long.  Lots of power from a relatively small block.  I cannot even imagine the sound it would make without the muffler... 

The turbo pe-charges the Roots super charger for a LOT of boost. A 5' muffler is probably enough to take the ring out of the expansion chamber. The "mufflers" on the drills and our trucks were only about 2-3' long and not near enough to mute the ring when you got the engines rapped up on the pipe. Gobs of power in a small package like any 2 stroker.

Probably the worst problem they had was if you stalled them at the wrong moment and got them turning backwards, say dumped the clutch and "killed" it. They run backwards just fine but the oil pump doesn't pump oil running backwards. Everything else seems to be running normally but it's lifespan is measured in tens of seconds before it starts grinding to a hard stop. Your best clue is getting it in gear and the rig going backwards.

excellent engines if you can live with the quirks.

Frosty The Lucky.

The turbo pe-charges the Roots super charger for a LOT of boost. A 5' muffler is probably enough to take the ring out of the expansion chamber. The "mufflers" on the drills and our trucks were only about 2-3' long and not near enough to mute the ring when you got the engines rapped up on the pipe. Gobs of power in a small package like any 2 stroker.

Probably the worst problem they had was if you stalled them at the wrong moment and got them turning backwards, say dumped the clutch and "killed" it. They run backwards just fine but the oil pump doesn't pump oil running backwards. Everything else seems to be running normally but it's lifespan is measured in tens of seconds before it starts grinding to a hard stop. Your best clue is getting it in gear and the rig going backwards.

excellent engines if you can live with the quirks.

Frosty The Lucky.

The 6V53T engine in the truck is mated up to an Allison automatic.  Not much chance of running backwards in this rig.