I Forge Iron

Anyone built Batson's H frame 24 ton press or have carolina knives 24T?

metalanton

I was planning on making Batson's H frame press according to his directions, but in the materials list it calls for 3 x5 x 1/4" angle for the four uprights.  this seems a little light to me and when I look at similar presses like the carolina custom knives 24t press the uprights appear to be 3x 5 x 3/8".  anybody made one or have any recommendations?  also, last time I was at the scrapyard I came across two pieces of 5 x5 x 1/4" square tubing and I thought I could make the uprights out of that instead for a design similar to the Claiborne press only having the cylinder on the bottom pushing up. this would be the cheapest option, but I want to make sure it is strong enough.  I do think Batson's design looks the strongest as far as having plenty of surface area for strong welds.  Using the square tubing would require the joints of the horizontal section to be simply butted and welded, instead of the sandwiching that happens with the angle in Batson's design. any insights would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I'm close to finishing a Carolina clone and share some of your concerns. I welded 1" square bar between each pair of up rights for more rigidity and to keep them from spreading apart. I also overbuilt both platens.  I pre-assembled the frame with 1/2" grade 8 bolts to insure everything was square and plumb before welding and cycled the cylinder with compressed air to check for binding.. I'll probably leave the bolts because, well they're already there and kinda look art-deco. 

I'm close to finishing a Carolina clone and share some of your concerns. I welded 1" square bar between each pair of up rights for more rigidity and to keep them from spreading apart. I also overbuilt both platens.  I pre-assembled the frame with 1/2" grade 8 bolts to insure everything was square and plumb before welding and cycled the cylinder with compressed air to check for binding.. I'll probably leave the bolts because, well they're already there and kinda look art-deco. 

Got any pictures?

• 11 months later...

I built a Batson style press according to his instructions, but used what I already had in the shop.  I used 4"x4"x1/4" for the uprights and built it all on a wheeled cart so it was moveable.  The square tube got reinforced as the build went along.  If I was to do it all over again, I'd use heavier steel all around.  A 24 ton press might look small, but it packs a huge punch.  First time I used it, retracting the cylinder tore it up pretty good.  So build heavy and good luck.

• 4 months later...

I built a Claiborn style H frame, overbuilt the frame, but used small channel iron for the ram guides, bend them and went with 1/2" x 4" flat bar, and am bending it, not bad, but enough to get out of square, need to use heavy angle or larger bracing.  I don't think it's possible to overbuild a hydraulic forging press.