I Forge Iron

my post vise

gote

Post vise. A former owner broke the post and welded an L-bar to it. The jaws are 41/2" This vise differs in the bracket from most vises shown here. The vice is intended to be able to pivot around a vertical axis. There is a hexagon head screw at the back that normally locks it and the "bearing" is pulled thight by two screws that have holes for turning. The movable jaw is not only pivoting around the bolt, there is also a circular bearing surface (which I understand is German style). It is of course impossible to rotate the vise with the L-bar extension to the post. I wanted to turn it as late as last week. It is my intention to remove the L-bar and to heat a tube to red and knock onto the post. (I got the idea in this forum. Thank you very much whoever it was) I am sure it will shrink to a sufficiently strong fit. I will then turn a pivot, cast a plug of concrete into my dirt floor and put a piece of steel plate with a hole for the pivot. Or put a stud onto the plate and use the pipe as bearing. As you can see I have fixed it to the work bench. All post vises i have sen in Sweden have been fixed this way and I find it practical to be able to put any tool I need on the bench.

postvise.jpg

PVbracket.jpg

PVpivot.jpg

Post vise. A former owner broke the post and welded an L-bar to it. The jaws are 41/2" This vise differs in the bracket from most vises shown here. The vice is intended to be able to pivot around a vertical axis. There is a hexagon head screw at the back that normally locks it and the "bearing" is pulled thight by two screws that have holes for turning. The movable jaw is not only pivoting around the bolt, there is also a circular bearing surface (which I understand is German style). It is of course impossible to rotate the vise with the L-bar extension to the post. I wanted to turn it as late as last week. It is my intention to remove the L-bar and to heat a tube to red and knock onto the post. (I got the idea in this forum. Thank you very much whoever it was) I am sure it will shrink to a sufficiently strong fit. I will then turn a pivot, cast a plug of concrete into my dirt floor and put a piece of steel plate with a hole for the pivot. Or put a stud onto the plate and use the pipe as bearing. As you can see I have fixed it to the work bench. All post vises i have sen in Sweden have been fixed this way and I find it practical to be able to put any tool I need on the bench.

postvise.jpg

PVbracket.jpg

PVpivot.jpg

Edited by gote
pictures missing

As you say it depends upon what I am doing. If I can get the turning to work it will be versatile enough. Somehow I prefer to have the bench surface in the immediate vicinity and as you can see, it is intended to be bench mounted.

Göte

Most of my leg vices have a collar welded on the bottom of the leg, maybe 40mm (1 1/2") from the tip. If you had something like that you could just have a block in the floor with a hole in it. The collar will take the hammering down thrust and the projecting pin will both locate and also allow the vice to swivel.

An oak block with the locating hole in the end grain would work well.

@matto...I would imagine that it was always intended to be a bench mounted vice hence the swivel. As you say you can walk all around a post mounted vice so there is a reduced need for the swivel facility.

I always find it useful to have somewhere to put tools down while adjusting the workpiece in the vice. My main vice I mounted on a tripod frame with a piece of plate as a tool rest / bench. It was home fabricated version of the classic cast iron 3 legged leg vice stand which had a small table.

Alan

image.thumb.jpg.cd5d922de04eb195900da236

Edited by Alan Evans
Added photo of classic cast stand

Hi Fox Fire, It could be an after market change but it looks contemporary. It can turn 90 degrees both ways when mounted the way I have it. I note that you also are in Europe. I will check what kind of threads are used. If they are Withworth it might indicate an import from the UK.

Göte

The shouldered hinge and the spring bolted to the moving jaw look quite different to the standard format.

In combination with the swivel, the straight thread box and the heavy anvil protrusion from the back of the fixed jaw, makes me think it was like that from the outset.

Somebody rethinking the whole thing.

Alan

Hi Fox Fire, It could be an after market change but it looks contemporary. It can turn 90 degrees both ways when mounted the way I have it. I note that you also are in Europe. I will check what kind of threads are used. If they are Withworth it might indicate an import from the UK.

Göte

Wrong Southampton, I live in New Jersey, USA.

Here, is the link to my thread, http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/41761-an-interesting-mount-clamp/

Wrong Southampton, I live in New Jersey, USA.

Here, is the link to my thread, http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/41761-an-interesting-mount-clamp/

OOPS:rolleyes:

I have read somewhere that the shouldered hinge is a feature of German vises. The other differences could point to it being of "Teutonic" decent rather than Anglo-saxon. Anyway I am happy to have it. Here in Sweden there are ten anvils for sale for each post vise - and not that many anvils at all. The svivel is different from your in that the bench side is thick enough to allow for the locking screw.

Göte

Edited by gote

• 4 years later...

Welcome to IFI  Timlund... Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST   You might want to edit your post and trim down the quote and delete the pictures. We have many members who have to rely on dial up internet or pay for extra data and pictures are data hogs and take forever to load.