I Forge Iron

NEW FORGE! I got it broken in now pretty good

Sam Salvati

Here is some shots of the new forge i built up and running. Not the first fire, she is pretty well broken in now and working great! I have yet to open it up to it's maximum heat yet, no need, but i feel heating up 4 inch square would be no problem in it(that's a BIG billet:D). I have worked out a bunch of the quirks so far, and got the forge running with 1/2 less coal than i did when i started to use it so it runs pretty efficient now. Also got the supports for the legs, act double as a tong rack, they go all around the whole forge, made from 1/4 thick by 1 inch wide mild. The lip around the forge is 1/4 thick 4 inch wide, top table is 1/4 thick, 3 foot wide by 4 and 1/2 feet long. Holds a 50 pound bag of coal right on the deck ready to be shoveled on, no bending to shovel from a coal bin or scoop from a bucket. Here's the pictures.

4438.attach

4439.attach

4440.attach

4441.attach

4442.attach

4443.attach

4444.attach

4445.attach

4446.attach

Thanks guys! Larry, while coal is a great heat source, quite romantic, gas is much easier. Coal is great for one of a kind things, while gas is good for production work. I highly recommend to anyone to try and learn and use coal for a little while atleast.

Aaron, it is controlled by a damper on the blower itself, but i can cut the forge RIGHT DOWN to idle(only a tiny bit of air) by opening the ash dump. You'll notice it has the ring on the end, i use a hook to hang it on the clinker breaker connecting rod to hold the forge at idle while i am away. Thanks, i would be happy to make a firepot for anyone interested, i would love to have some like mine cast out, but i like the welded style.

• 1 month later...