I Forge Iron

hey I'm from montana

jester forge

I'm new to the forum I've looked around a bit but this is my first post. I'm new to blacksmithing I have made a knife out of unknown steel and it turns out it doesn't harden so I guess I'll use the rest of that bar for other stuff. Any tips for a beginner it would be appreciated.

Pack a lunch and a cold drink and read all the stickies on the site. Then read those sections of interest to you. You will have had most of your questions answered by that time. If you need additional information, just ask.

Welcome to IForgeIron.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. You may not know how not to forge a knife but you certainly know one thing not to forge one from.

One small point, we LOVE pics: shop, tools, projects, pets, family, scenery, most anything you'd let your 7 yr old daughter look at.

Frosty The Lucky.

image.thumb.jpg.d83fd229c3b781c6fa1fcc4emy viceimage.thumb.jpg.78c14a51b221b5d0b188146emy first blowerimage.thumb.jpg.93f26fa189bbfd9f23644d2athe forgeimage.thumb.jpg.64f60cb4e7b95f8fe0c5d558my new blowerimage.thumb.jpg.4c3ffe501404e9e26e828467rail anvilimage.thumb.jpg.70c8497be195ee4f0612a32atongsimage.thumb.jpg.e922da43fde1bdc62f61edcctongs image.thumb.jpg.2d6881120f2738366af5daa9scrapimage.thumb.jpg.19683da4b14f580613e11798fuel

sorry for the side ways pics

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. You may not know how not to forge a knife but you certainly know one thing not to forge one from.

One small point, we LOVE pics: shop, tools, projects, pets, family, scenery, most anything you'd let your 7 yr old daughter look at.

Frosty The Lucky.

You look kitted up well enough to get started just remember that's a bench vise, hitting it with anything much will break it. Think straightening nails and bending say 1/8"x1" strip stock HOT. It's a GOOD thing to have in the shop, I have a couple you just can't take a hammer to one. Jaw inserts to prevent it marking the work and it's perfect for twisting and such AFTER it's bolted to a solid bench or stand.

I don't see scrap but I see a full rack of tongs in that coil spring in your stock pile. Coil spring is less likely to have hidden cracks than leaf spring. Leaf spring is used as part of a stack and grit invariably finds it's way between leaves in the stack making scratches. Scratches = cold shuts and initiation points for failure. That's a FYI so you won't be so surprised when things you make with leaf spring fail more often.

Is your anvil at the correct working height for you? Wrist height when you're standing next to it in the shoes you wear is a good starting height. Different work requires different heights for example: Finishing blades wants to be higher so you can see your work, you aren't going to be hitting hard or using heavy hammers for the fine work. Heavy forging or using top tools wants the anvil lower so you can develop more power in the blows and the top of the tools are at a good working height. The stake tool you have in the stand will be very useful and should be higher than your normal anvil height. It looks like a fine dome or button stake for plannishing out hollow forms, say smoothing up a dipper or spoon. Good tool, a keeper needing nothing but a little polishing.

Don't be afraid to experiment with things, just be careful. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.