I Forge Iron

I need help

I would like to start smithing soon. I have almost completed my forge but need some sort of anvil, I do not have money to spend on a real anvil so I'm hoping to find a piece of railroad track close by. I have no tools or anything I am just starting out. Any help is greatly appreciated

Anything you beet steel on is a real anvil. A lage peice of shafting, a large sledgehammer head, discarded peice of heavy eqipment (broken train car cupler ie.) a 2"solid drawbar for a truck (the ones with 3 balls welded to them) 

any solid peice of steel 5 times heaveri than your hammer (lighter will work, I have seen spliting wedges used)

you could talk to some local farmers if they own a really old farm chances are they have an anvil or search flea markets and antique shops or even auctions are a great place to find old blacksmiths tools h/I beam works great as long as you don't live next to people or if your extremely desperate you could buy a harbor freight anvil and every couple of times you use it you'll have to grind it down to get a flat face and with rr track check out auctions I bought 2 large pieces and an ore cart track and some smaller track at an auction for $4 and welcome to the sight

Nick O

The Harbor Freight anvils are called ASO (anvil shaped object) for a reason.

Have you read the stickies at the top of the blacksmithing section? If not start with this one.

Anvil
A big rock will do. The next step is anything (metal) with a mass of 50-100 pounds to hit upon. If the thing has shapes, you are fortunate as you can use the shapes to your advantage. Look for any mass of metal, the heavier the better. A sledge hammer head for instance. Larger work required a larger anvil (metal mass) so always keep looking.

Hammer
Look for a hammer about 2 pounds or less of any shape. Ball peen, machinist hammer, mini-sledge, single jack or double jack, etc etc.

Tongs
Look for a long piece of metal stock if possible, vise grips, slip joint pliers, etc.

The first thing you should do is pack a lunch and a cold drink and read IForgeIron. Start with the sections and topics that interest you. Then read the rest of the site. The answers to your questions have already been discussed, some in great detail. As you read you will get ideas for projects, tools, and much general information that can be used later at the forge.

If you have questions, just ask, but first give us some background on what you have read, what you have done, etc so we know where to jump in with out answers.

There are several blacksmithing groups in your area. Go the the meetings, look at what they are doing and take advantage of the open forge time. Those folks are more than willing to assist you, just ask.

Welcome to the site.

For a big chunk of steel to use for an anvil locate a scrap yard, or an equipment rental facility near you. Look for a big chunk of STEEL-not cast iron, forklift fork, big shaft, etc. The forklift fork can make a nice anvil. Heavy equipment maintenance yards, mining operations, or any other heavy industrial should be able to produce a good piece to work with.

With a hammer, and an anvil, you can start making your tools, to make other tools. Don't worry about tongs if your stock is long enough that you can hold it without getting burned. 

Don't over think this. Look at some YouTube videos of smiths in third world countries, and look at what they are using.

If you happen to be near a steel large supplier you may be able to buy one of their drops from plate cutting, if your scrap yard in uncooperative. The heavy plate is a different spec from A36 generally.  The surface will work harden as it is used.  Not a great anvil to be sure but it does present a large surface.  I bought such a piece years ago for a broad flat massive work surface. Talking like 4" plate.  However, a lot of the suppliers these days are just warehouses so don't be surprised if you have to search several before you find one that even handles serious sizes.

What about using a 12-20 pound sledge hammer head until you find an anvil?  Otherwise if the Discountsteel retail showroom down there is like the one here there are a ton of scrap/drop options you can walk in and pick from for a buck or two a pound.