I Forge Iron

Hi I am very new to the game. I am looking for some tools to use. I currently have a 3 pound sledge and a forge that i created recently. I know I am going to need more hammers very soon. My question pertains to the anvil. Is there any advantage to getting a new anvil right away. or can i get a combination bench vise/ anvil? Any one out there with experience on this issue?

It is very hard to offer advice when we don't know what you intend to do with your 3lb sledge. If you're going to be forging hammer heads or swage tools, you'll want something more than a combination bench vise/anvil.

If you're going to make S-hooks and leaf key rings, then a light anvil or even a lump of railway iron (and a lighter hammer) will do the job.

I would think you would be better off to find an old anvil in any sort of condition and get to use that before splashing out on a new one. A flash new anvil won't make you a better smith ... start simple and work up from there. Get some experience and then decide what best suits your needs.

I plan on buying a couple of real hammers before i start pounding, the three pound sledge is just my starting hammer. I was asking because I am just starting out, and I want to get the best bang for my buck. Luckily I live in east Tennessee so there are garage sales every weekend here. I saw a combo vise on Craig's list for 30 bucks so i thought I would ask some people with a little knowledge before I buy anything. 

Most combo vises are not made for smithing, they are used for straightening sheet metal after cold cutting in the vise, setting a rivet and other small works (with small hammers)

They are no substitue for a anvil, chunk of steel, railroad track, sledge hammer anvil. All those options will be better.

Combo vises are useful on a bench in your basement for home repair of no value in a shop with large hammers.  Combo anything as a rule are not much use in anything.  You can't take an afternoon and buy everything needed for a shop unless you won the MegaBucks.  A heavy anvil of some sorts be it RR rail or real anvil and a couple hammers, something to heat and something to hold the hot stuff.  Work out from there.  This isn't a "Turn Key" hobby/occupation.   

I honestly haven't ever used the "anvil" on a combo vise for anything besides straightening nails, and even then it isn't the best.  A good flat piece of granite works better.  

If a good used anvil is outside your current fiscal means and/or ability to find, try to find a "pin" out of a piece of heavy equipment, or some other heavy cross section lump of metal that you can stand on end.  If/when you find a "real anvil", you may find that you like your "lump" better.  You wouldn't be the first.

Read the stickies. The ones under blacksmithing include the thread What do I need to get started in blacksmithing

The quick answer (not knowing what you want to do or are going to make) is to find a lump of heavy metal. A sledge hammer head, a piece of hydraulic shaft, or anything solid including a piece of plate steel 2 inches or more thick. You will need a 2 (two) pound hammer. This can be a single jack, double jack, straight or cross peen or even a ball peen hammer. Used at a flea market is fine or under $10 at HF.

Find a fuel in your ares that is cheap and available. Build the forge to fit the fuel. Look under the forges section on the site for ideas. 

Pack a lunch and a cold drink and read the sections of interest on the site, stickies first. Many of your questions have already been answered. If you need a more detailed explanation, tell us what you read, tell us what you have to work with, tell us what you are trying to do, and ask your question. That way we do not have to start at the beginning, we can step in at your level of knowledge and give an answer.

Welcome to the site and to the craft.