I Forge Iron

Quick and Dirty Forging press's comming soon.

monstermetal

$4500 sounds very reasonable and I'd think the demand would be there- from small working shops, if not so much from hobbyists.

Something I think might work in addition to turnkey presses would be to offer a "kit" option, where you could sell the power, hydraulics and controls, and let the buyer fabricate their own frame.    

As far as desirable features... quiet operation would be nice, but I'm not sure its possible... 

$4500 sounds very reasonable and I'd think the demand would be there- from small working shops, if not so much from hobbyists.

Something I think might work in addition to turnkey presses would be to offer a "kit" option, where you could sell the power, hydraulics and controls, and let the buyer fabricate their own frame.    

As far as desirable features... quiet operation would be nice, but I'm not sure its possible... 

The problem with that Is the amount of structural integrity the frame needs. It takes definite skill to produce welds good enough for that. I know I don't have it.

quiet operation would be nice, but I'm not sure its possible... 

It is possible, however quite hydraulic systems are much more expensive than what you normally see.   I built a press with a pump that came out of a endless pool system.   Amazingly quite, however it was a $4000 5HP pump.

I've long been planning a press build as I wanted a C-Frame more robust than what was available, but now that you are in the game Larry, I think I shall yield to you.  If you are selling in the $4,500-5,000 range I would be handing you money. 

I like to hear that!

• 2 weeks later...

A kit option would be great, it would take a ton of legwork and guess work out of building a press. Motor/pump/cylinder/controls and that's it.

Edited by setlab

A kit option would be great, it would take a ton of legwork and guess work out of building a press. Motor/pump/cylinder/controls and that's it.

You can by Batson's book and all that info is in it. Then it's easy to source the parts from Northern Tool or Parker etc. I can't imagine there is enough markup in a kit to make it worthwhile.

You can by Batson's book and all that info is in it. Then it's easy to source the parts from Northern Tool or Parker etc. I can't imagine there is enough markup in a kit to make it worthwhile.

I have it laying on my coffee table as I type this, I still need to re-read it a couple more times though. If monstermetal's on to something spectacular with the speed of his press I would much rather use the components he uses then the seemingly "cookie cutter" press build that Batson's book teaches about.

Edited by setlab

• 1 month later...

One feature I would want would be an electonic limit switch to set specific stroke position and return distance. I've seen a couple of damascus makers with presses like this and that was a really handy feature. I'd also want foot pedal control and the abilty to set the press for continuous cycling so the foot pedal doesn't have to be tapped for each stroke.

These are features I would want, but I'm not in a position currently to purchase a press. However, if I were and I had these opitons on one make and not another I'd be wanting these, even at a higher price point.

One feature I would want would be an electonic limit switch to set specific stroke position and return distance. I've seen a couple of damascus makers with presses like this and that was a really handy feature. I'd also want foot pedal control and the abilty to set the press for continuous cycling so the foot pedal doesn't have to be tapped for each stroke.

These are features I would want, but I'm not in a position currently to purchase a press. However, if I were and I had these opitons on one make and not another I'd be wanting these, even at a higher price point.

My horizontal  bending press has both of these features ahd they are really handy features to have both for forging and for bending. 

• 2 months later...

FWIW, Tommy McNabb's presses are $4600-$6700 depending on tonnage, and they sell quite well, as they're significantly better built than the two other main options out there.

As far as the bigger presses, power can be available using a Rotary Phase Converter, but I'm not sure you can get to 50hp (run) capacity staying within the 200 amp single phase input limitation most would be facing.

Larry, what are the caveats of these 10hp power packs that make them so expensive? Could you not source a motor, pump, and the residual parts to build these for a fairly large savings? I understand the convenience factor but I'm wondering if there's some feature I'm missing.

I'm in the process of building a new press and I'm considering going the single stage pump route also. I've got a phase converter I can run a 10hp motor from, a 6" cylinder that I was going to run at 2500 psi for 35 tons, with a dual stage pump, but after watching your video I'm thinking I should reconsider.  Of course, searching around for info, I can't find much on people using single stage pumps.