I Forge Iron

Matt from south carolina

Batman

I am completely new to this.. And my goal is to be a blacksmith.. Or as close as I can achieve to the old ways of doing things before machines. I personally have always taken the hard road when learning. I do have Facebook and kik to keep in touch. I lost my job, my gf has decided to let me pursue this career choice. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Any advice you have I'm willing to listen, even if I do choose to be stupid in the end. Y'all know this better than I do, and that is why I'm here. Thanks for your help and advise and I look forward to learning from you all

First advice is to read the ToS and watch your language.

Wow that's hardcore---a set of bellows is a machine; so you are going back to a bunch of people blowing through reeds like the ancient egyptians!

First powerhammer I have seen good documentation on was in use before the year 1000.   I do pre Y1K demos and I sure do love going back to when I could use a postvise and not need a bellows thrall.

Don't know what i said... But ok... Didnt intentionally type a curse. But got it... And i meant with bellows...  I was talking specifically without propane torches, mechanical hammers, welding torches.. Things like that .... I really want old school bellows...think I may have a set, or the frame at my grandmother's house

The double lung bellows has been in use in Western Europe since the 14th century IIRC. It sneaked into smithing from the goldsmiths.  However single action teamed bellows were still commonly in use centuries later as is shown in De Re Metallica where they were often water powered, (mid 1500's).

It's the blanket generality: "before machinery" that's drawing the literal replies. Were I not in a slack cutting mood I'd point out a lever is a machine that predates handled hammers by probably thousands of years. Wait a second a handle IS a lever, oh DRAT so much for that example.  :blink:

I understand what you're trying to say and it's your choice. Pick the time period you wish to limit your technology to and study up on it.

Frosty The Lucky.

I will definitely narrow it down... And not trying to be slack. As I mentioned, I'm new to this. I used to work on classic cars, where I got into repairing clocks, and then watches. The general time period I'm looking at is middle ages, as represented by television.. Not the way its produced. I do not wish to try and pour steel. But the forge design. I can modify to my needs as I learn of course. Eventually I wish to know a little about each style. European, Egyptian, Oriental, or anything else I find. Right now I'm working on aluminium casting, winch it is readily available and has many uses. I plan on reading and studying the site and topics here for more ideas of course. But I hope you at least have a general idea of my goals now.

If you learn the craft you can pick the period you wish to "work" in at will. On the other hand if you set out to learn just one particular time period and regional tech then you could find yourself stuck there. When your mental tool kit reaches a certain level it won't matter what kind of fire you use, what the hammers are, anvil, tongs, etc. it's just moving steel/iron/ ?

Frosty The Lucky.