I Forge Iron

New in New England

Josh88

Just thought I'd stop by and say hello after I've been reading for the past few hours. I've had a desire to get into blacksmithing for years and since I'm a teacher with summers off, mostly, I figured this was a good chance to finally give it a shot. I'm good with my hands and have been a technical theatre teacher and technical director for years as well as doing stage combat so I know my way around that end of metal and making things, but actually working with metal is still fairly new to me. I'm fairly well set for tools thanks to my work and various things being left to me over the years. So now I"m searching for an anvil (or temporarily some railroad track) and eyeing different plans for forges. I have no shortage of wood that I can turn into charcoal so I'll be staying away from gas. I tend to not post much in forums and I know how to use a search bar so I should be able to find most of what I need given the sheer size of this place, which is awesome. I love that the internet has allowed for specialized repositories of knowledge where people can gather and chat, and I'm certainly glad I found this. Thats all for now!

Do a search for the 55 Forge. You can use bottom blast or side blast, the side blast being easier to build.

fire bottom blast.jpg

fire side blast.jpg

Do a search for TPAAAT in order to find an anvil. A search for "New England Blacksmith Assoc" will get you some local blacksmiths. Welcome to IForgeIron. Be sure and pack a lunch and a cold drink when you come to visit the site. (grin) Edited by Glenn

Welcome aboard Josh, glad to have you. don't be a stranger though, I really look forward to answering questions asked by someone who actually knows what research is. I LOVE good questions especially if they make me research for the answer. Good questions are a treasure.

Frosty The Lucky.

I love doing the research myself, though I'm sure I'll get stuck at points. I'm self taught in lots of the hobby type stuff I do and projects keep me busy and sane. I picked up leather working last year and I'm in the process of making a guitar for my father in law so trolling the internet and learning about things completely foreign to me.... is surprisingly not foreign to me haha. 

Oh we're going to get along famously though I stopped caring about the sanity angle. I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it thoroughly. I love the learning curve even though the TBI makes staying focused harder I savor learning something new every day. Getting involved in something entirely new thrills me, unfortunately it isn't unknown territory long. Happily there's always quantum mechanics if I start feeling like I have a handle on things.

I understand what you mean cruising the unknown is a good thing, I like it.

Frosty The Lucky.

True story Frosty and it doesn't take long looking through the forums to see why you and Glenn are the first two to say hello, its immediately apparent that you know what you're talking about and I've already picked up tons of good tips through your posts. I'm on a forum called controlbooth.com which is essentially this forum, but specific for technical theatre and in trying the TPAAAT method, I haven't yet found an anvil thanks to it, I've managed to get a free pair of tongs out of it, so my fingers are crossed. I can already tell I'll like it around here. I've always had a drive to learn new things and being in theatre, I've learned long ago to accept the insanity as well, its what makes me/us fun to be around. I've always been drawn to old techniques and skills that aren't really needed but still have a place, a following and an artistry that keep things alive. 

I'll just have to find more than one so that I can keep one for myself. I'm actually sitting in columbus Ohio at the moment for my sister in laws wedding so tomorrow (after reading about some of your luck here Thomas) I may go scrounging around the city for things to take home with me.

AW shucks Josh. Truth is I'm a living example of why Black Smithing and Bull Shooting have the same abbreviations. I love answering questions even if I have to make up the answers.

I have a good friend lives in Minneapolis who did a lot of theatrical props, etc. One of the most creative and mechanical savy people I know. He's a loveable lug with a giant heart. 

The TPAAAT apparently has a threshold level to get rolling. It makes sense that word has to get out to enough people before it really starts working. The secret is telling E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y you meet.

Best wishes for the couple at the wedding and good luck to you prospecting for.

Frosty The Lucky.