I Forge Iron

My Hand Surgery,,,Reply to Frosty

JPH

For some reason I am cforbidden to reply to my own thread so..here we go

Frosty:

Ok..I admit I have a super-human ability to heal and re-generate thanks to my superior genetics..after all being 1/2 Kurd...oh never mind what Adolf H. was thinking when he sent all those blond NAZI bimbos to get knocked up by my Mum's Kinsfolk back in WWII.. Geeze..

Seriously now I have been very lucky that I heal so quick..guess it's from all the practice I get.  Now if I can just keep this GD RRMS under control I will be doing better than good..but I hadn't had a relapse in 9 months so....and according to the VA witch-doctors I may never have another one.. yet..,..then again...

Laid out steel for about 50 foot of pattern welded bar stock today..will start welding on that this next week after I get the pieces laid up...just straight lam material for the "raw bars" before patterning..that will keep me busy for 3 or 4 days welding that up..

JPH

Well, count your lucky stars Jim, I'm cutting you some slack to heal up or I'd gleefully submit to the almost totally overwhelming desire to make a Cheesy Kurd joke. Heck, Adolf was bat house crazy, not completely stupid. He got some things right, call it Serendipity.

My line is about as Heinz 57 as you can get, English Irish, Dutch and Scott for the main mix, then there's Spanish, and Indian, not to be confused with the Mexican side. Seriously, my Grandmother Frost straightened me out on the difference, Spain Spanish and Modoc Indian PLUS the Mexican side, Spanish+Aztec = Mexican. Lets see there's German, Hungarian, Austrian, well from that corner of Europe. A little French and lord I don't know what else. I'm a mutt and tend to heal like one.

Oh I'm always Sooooo reassured when a doc says It MAY not happen again. I keep looking for one that really  knows what' up, you know is finished "practicing." I have a couple friends with MS who have it licked to the occasional twitch or tremble. I'll keep you on my list.

Okay, 50' of bar to start. You're recuperating so we'll accept taking it easy. ;) I'll bet that isn't terribly ambitious in your book is it? It makes good sense to set up for a production run, even if there is a % of different patterns in the plans. So: How many blades do you expect from that lay up? How much time per blade? What's your average failure rate? Pretty open question huh? So include the size, furniture, customs, etc. pertinents if you'd like. I'm all ears.

This one might be too nosy. I didn't ask if you don't want to say. What's your profit margin?: Hourly wage, shop rate, material outlay, consumables, etc.?

Yeah, I grew up in a production metal spinning shop and I thought Dad was the most boring guy in the world sometimes. Little did I know. :huh:

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty..

50 foot of bar stock is about my usual "production run":..when you are welding  1 1/4" sq by 18" long pieces that already have between 50 to 75 pieces at the start and then you cut into thirds or quarters and then re-weld....it goes real quick.  Three welds total and I am usually done with the bar...since each one hammers out to about 6 feet or so I only lay up and weld 8 pieces.. Depending upon the pattern I decide to use I can even stretch that out another 20% or so.

Failure rate? Unless it is a fatal flaw like an inclusion there is no such thing as far as I am concerned..it's a design change...How HT troubles when I am doing the Japanese stuff..I am down to like 2% on the hardening..sometimes a little more but since I figured out how to get through that part 2% is about the norm..I just hate hearing that "Tink of Death" ....

Profits vary greatly..on making RR spike knives I can make about $400.00 an hour...with minimum costs other than LPG and a grinding belt or two per half dozen or so...on a HC 5160 sword, blued steel/iron fittings and wire wrapped grip..I make enough to  keep a roof over our heads and bacon and beans on the table...

My set up is good for a one man op.. plus there is minimal time wasted..while I have pieces heating I am doing file-fitting or sanding...while stuff is cooling I am doing grinding...there really is no just standing around my place... Couple that with the equipment I have (which isn't all that much really for a full timer lie me.....but I put it to good use, now someone just starting out with just a hammer and a pair of tongs ??  that's something different) plus all the years I have been doing this...time spent on any given piece is pretty much as low as you can get it without cutting quality.

Hope this answers some of your questions...

DSC02581A.jpg

DSC00573A.jpg

DAMSWRD.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

DSC02203A.jpg

That is more than enough to answer what I was really asking Jim. It tells me the story and the pictures of your space IS the story. Your space is tight, not because you're limited on space but because you work that way. Everything is laid exactly where you need it so you can just DO. The hydraulic does the heavy forging, the screw press isolates, draws, fullers, punches, etc. the treadle hammer details and chases. The anvil is front row center in front of your forge, that's probably your real love and she's your workhorse, where you develop and refine profiles, tapers, bevels, etc.

Oh yeah, it's a one man station, heck another person couldn't work safely there without getting used to it for a while and it'd be quite a while to come up to speed. It'd drive you nuts though, they'd lay the hammer facing the wrong direction and put the hot cut on the wrong table. Everything they did would disrupt the flow.

You work fast because you don't have to hurry, everything is where it needs to be when you need it. The hydraulic press and screw press are angled so you can work long stock without interference with other equipment so no fumbling handling it.

It reminds me of Dad's shop a LOT. It's like the same orchestra playing different music. I can see the decades of experience, how many?

Thanks for humoring me Jim, it's a little like going home and an education.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello:

Frosty...I also have a small and dainty 25lb Little Giant that isn't pictured that is so cute that it should be on a charm bracelet...l love that little powe hammer..does a whole lot of work when you know how to use it...

iani: 50 foot of barstock is not that much for me and my set up..I have been doing this for a little while now and I am more or less comfortable with my current set up so it';s just get it hot and hit it...

JPH

Awe, did someone give you the LG as a Christmas stocking stuffer? I love my 50lb. LG, I just need to finish making more dies for it. Being able to do the large scale and routine work quickly leaves a body time and energy to do the details.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty:

For the size of work that I do..a 25# LG is ideal... I had a 50# and a 100# LG and I sold them.... they were just too "much" hammer for the stuff I am doing,... But they surely can MOVE some iron when used properly...

JPH