I Forge Iron

Casting Pewter Bolsters

j.w.s.

Here's a quick sgain dubh I did today, the blade isn't by far my best work, but this was just playing around with things I wouldn't mind losing and it wasn't an exercise in blade work but rather some quick casting. It's been a long time since I've done this, but I found a 16lb ingot of pewter (Lead free, iirc, just Tin, Antimony and Copper) under my work bench when doing some needed cleaning. I ran to the local foundry supply store and bought some sampling ladles because they only carry large crucibles but sampling ladles work well for this application. I cut an oz or so off and threw the whole ladle in my heat treat oven for the melt at 765F. Made a simple mold directly on my handle from some scrap cardboard and a little masking tape and poured. Here's the finished piece. The blade is an old damascus piece I also found under my work bench that I probably forged 4 or more years ago, so I figured if I hadn't missed it in all this time I wouldn't mind if I screwed it up. Here's the finished results. I had forgotten how much I liked this method. No epoxy, no fiber spacers, no soldering, nice clean lines and a solid fit. I'm currently refining the process a bit and this will probably be the subject of my next video that I plan on shooting sometime next week, so I guess this is a preview. :)

-J

stag1.thumb.jpg.223e08f3caefa3cd83033499stag2.thumb.jpg.b6d948c91603b7c4a7c4bb1e

I've always bought my tin from rotometals by the ingot; they carry a lot of non-ferrous alloys (like 10 different Babbit alloys + damming stuff...)

If you are worried about content buying from a reputable source may be worth it.  I thought their prices were quite reasonable.

Brittania metal at thrift store is sometimes labelled as such. Fun stuff. Due to low casting temps, you can also cast directly into the wood for inlays if you make a keyway to hold it in.  Of course, brittania metals seems to take a lot longer to get that lovely grey patina. P.S. Antimony ain't especially good for ya either.