I Forge Iron

Looking for advice

Hey everyone,

My name is Billy and I'm just looking for some advice for someone who is wanting to take up the art of blacksmithing and to see if there any experienced smiths close to where I am to come and watch and perhaps take some instruction. 

Thank, BillytheKid

Welcome to the craft! I am the NC-ABANA librarian, and can recommend some useful books to request from the group library if you join. There was a sub-group that met near the coast, not sure if they are still active. Annual member roster and contact info comes in the print newsletter once a year, never published on-line.

Kind of a long hike for you, but a couple of opportunities coming up: directions to meetings and events in the link.  http://www.ibiblio.org/nc-abana/

Next Saturday June 6th, there is a bonus meeting at Peter Ross' shop near Pittsboro. (Google him if you don't know who he is, but that is like having Michael Jordan let you come over to his house and have him show you how to shoot hoops.) Have been to meetings at his place twice, and I will miss it only because I am going to Touchstone in PA that weekend.

June 27, meeting at Dixie Classic Fairgrounds in Winston-Salem.

September meeting in Manteo on the Outer Banks.

Best of luck!

Welcome aboard Billy glad to have you. There are a number of world class blacksmiths in your near neighborhood, active organizations and schools. Get hooked up with the group closest and you're on the road.

Frosty The Lucky.