I Forge Iron

My new anvil

I posted pics in the mailing list but I figured I'd post it here too. I was able to pick up my great grandfathers anvil this weekend. Here are some pictures (sticky note for scale) http://imgur.com/a/nKdsv 

I think it weighs somewhere between 40-60 pounds as a rough guess. The edges are chipped and it looks like my great grandfather never bothered to round the corners. The horn also seems to be mushroomed. 

I'm not sure how much "restoration" I should attempt. My first goal is to get it mounted to something, and then I'll try to work out how much I want to try and clean it up. I'll post later with what a ball bearing test reveals. 

Edited by AkNewbie

Greetings AK,

Great little Vulcan anvil your grandfather passed on to you .. As for restoration I would just wire brush it off and a little tung or linseed oil ..  I would use it just like it is .. As you progress you will end up dressing the edges. Have fun 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Condition looks good enough to use as is.  Just remember the limitations of Vulcans-thin top plate, and some have casting flaws. But as long as you are not swinging a sledge onto it you should be fine. Mount it up solid, and get forging 

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR