I Forge Iron

great youtube video

chichi

There is a great video of a German knifemaker on YOUTUBE. He forges a switchblade knife that has two blades and a corkscrew. Around the 6:00 mark (IIRC) he explains how the mechanism works. It appears that the locking bar is forced out of the knife locking notch by?? There does not seem to be a button. There is some sort of mechanism sticking out of the scale which I believe is the blade lock. Can someone explain this mechanism. I dont know how to add a link but the video title is"Doku Der Letzte seines Standes Der Messerschmied".

It looks to me like the locking bar is also the sear of the trigger mechanism.  When the blade compresses the spring, the locking bar engages on a secondary notch.  In gunsmithing, the part that releases the hammer or striker is called the sear.  It's purpose is to allow trigger leverage to smoothly release when sufficient force is applied.  I would surmise that in this assembly, there would be a plunger in the scale that presses against the locking bar to trigger the release, or to unlock the blade.

Rock,

I agree with most of what you said but I dont believe there is a plunger in the scale.Since I posted, I searched and found references to a "pen release" mechanism. There is a small pen blade next to the main blade. When the pen blade is depressed it trips the sear.That would normmally mean that the locking bar is raised out of the notch. In the video, the maker seems to be demonstrating that the short ramped tab on the locking bar is pused to the side out of the notch in the blade which allows the blade to disengage from the locking bar. It is a suble difference from a scale plunger but I would sure like to forge these parts once I get a little better understanding. I have made plunger style knives in the past but they rely on a hole in the blade near the pivot. This design does not.

Thanks for inserting the video above and your comments!

I posted a video in the folder section of a German knifemaker who forges most of the parts for a very elegant auto folder that he makes. I dont understand German but I have a guess there are few of these craftsmen left doing this work which is why the video was made.

There does not seem to be much traffic on the folding knife section so I am posting here hoping others will enjoy. Your comments are appreciated.

There does not seem to be much traffic in the section for Alaska groups either.  With your reasoning perhaps we should post this there to boost it?  Cross posting in multiple topics is considered spamming, please do not do it again.  I am relocating this post to the other one, subjects are organized for easy location by readers,  not on where you think more people may or may not notice it better.

Rock,

I am surprised this video generated so few responses-just you.Do you think the fact it was not in English turned people off?

I thought this guys work was inspiring and the lack of narration was a minor distraction??

ChiChi

I got a lot from seeing how he made the mechanism myself and it's unlikely I'll make a folding knife. I'm not saying never though. <grin>

I liked the cork screws.

Heck I liked everything makes me wish I spoke German.

Frosty The Lucky.

Chichi says he sees only 2, I see this thread has had 282 views.    I like the video and even though I lived in Germany many years ago I could not follow the language too well, but I was able to follow enough, there is not much to say about it though, so dont feel bad, thanks for sharing

Edited by Steve Sells

I'm not a 'knife maker' as such though I've dabbled in the dark side, I found it an interesting video I understand German, and at 600 Euro his stuff is well priced, what I was interested in is the way he polishes things up? Though I did not pick up much. Thanks for posting.

Remember just because folk don't reply/post doesn't signify a lack of interest.

I did think it was an interesting video once they got into his shop. I only watched it once and the knife making was a little over my head, but I liked the old world feel of the work. And that grinding wheel was pretty cool.

Been watching a lot Grimm lately so I half expected him to "volge" into something ;)

I am glad others have responded. .

BTW,

Making a functional auto knife is not really that hard if you start with stock that is all the same thickness to begin. I have made them using three different machanisms. They were not finely finished but the blade would always snap out. I found that getting the blade to snap out and minimizing the side play was where the skill came in.I did not use any smithing in these knives  other than forging the blades. The appeal of this video was that the entire knife mechanism was forged.

Thanks for watching