I Forge Iron

150lbs fisher anvil!!!!

What you guys think of this anvil craigslist link removed to get started blacksmithing with, it looks to be in good shape. The guy is asking $400 bucks for it but maybe i get him to bring the price down a little. The anvil is 150lbs, not the heaviest but at least i could get started with it.

That anvil looks almost flawless, looks like there's a small chip on the far side and possibly one on the near side too but looks pretty good to me. I'm not sure what the prices are like in your area but that's been listed for 19 days and not sold so I'm guessing the price could be a little high maybe? Go see it, test it, try bargaining with the seller and if you're happy parting with the money, bring it home with you, it's value is whatever you're willing to pay for it!

It looks to be in darned good shape to me. Were it posted up  here it would be gone in hours. $400 is less than $3/lb. hows that stack up to what you see around there?

Were I looking I'd be telling you guys how it works and showing pics of it on it's new stand in my shop. But that's me in Alaska.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fishers are excellent anvils, I have one myself. They are quite, so they don't ring like a Hay-Budden would for example. 

As for the weight, 150# is an excellent size, you won't NEED heavier unless you are constantly forging large stock with strikers. You may WANT heavier, but this one will serve you fine.

Grab some $100's and go see it. Let them know that you will be using it to actually smith with, and they may be more willing to come down on price. Only offer what you can afford. In some parts of the country that anvil would already be gone at a higher price.

Hesitation loses the deals. So did it just sell, or did it sell the first day and he didn't remove the ad? That will give you some indication of the market in your area. Call him back and ask when it sold, and if it went for the asking price. Also ask him if he has any leads on another one.

Well, that shows you that you have some competition when it comes to buying an anvil. Have you considered just finding a large chuck of scrap steel to work on? With scrap steel prices in the tank, right now would be a good time to look. It is only 2¢ a pound here, so you could get a much  heavier piece for far less than what these anvils are going for.

Ya'know at those prices I will still suggest a scrap piece. Last time I bought scrap it was 15 cents a pound. So, a 300# piece of scrap would only be $45, even at $1 a pound it would be far less for more mass. Or it can be several pieces  of various sizes, and shapes, plus tools.