I Forge Iron

Professional Stabilization for Large Pieces of Wood?

I am trying to find someone to stabilize a large slab of walnut.  I need it very hard to cc machine out some scales.  While we mostly make one off hand made customs, we have a special customer with a great project and a cc is the only way to make this one affordable.  We usually work with P&G, they can't accommodate a piece of word larger than 6".  The larger the better for my project.   Anyone know someone that could tackle this project?  

I really appreciate any suggestions!

EB

Edited by bearsprings

I do not and I do not think you'll find someone!  Modern stabilization is only done on small pieces of wood... it is really impractical on anything like a large slab!  It is NOT just a matter of tooling scale!  The difficulties multiply exponentially for large slabs!  EVEN if costs were unlimited (hardly ever the case) it would still be impractical to stabilize large slabs!  You'll need to rethink this project!  

Edited by bigfootnampa
spelling

I do not and I do not think you'll find someone!  Modern stabilization is only done on small pieces of wood... it is really impractical on anything like a large slab!  It is NOT just a matter of tooling scale!  The difficulties multiply exponentially for large slabs!  EVEN if costs were unlimited (hardly ever the case) it would still be impractical to stabilize large slabs!  You'll need to rethink this project!  

Thanks! Think 8" would still be too big? 

There are probably some who can do 8" stuff!  Could you possibly do the machining first?  CNC carving machines work with solid wood all the time!  Baltic Birch plywood is another option to consider, pretty stable as it comes from the factory!  Or... how about one of the many composite woods now available? Trex, Azek, etcetera?

Google KandGstabilizing.  Same as K&G knifeandgun. They might be able to help you out. They do good work.

Mitch

hope thats not the p&g you referenced above...

Mitch sorry yes we work with K&G (not P&G) my fault! They only work with 6" pieces currently.  But thank you! 

There are probably some who can do 8" stuff!  Could you possibly do the machining first?  CNC carving machines work with solid wood all the time!  Baltic Birch plywood is another option to consider, pretty stable as it comes from the factory!  Or... how about one of the many composite woods now available? Trex, Azek, etcetera?

We would love to do the machining first but we have experienced warping. I'll look into Baltic birch for sure and I've been playing around with the idea of using composites but our client is resistant. I should order some samples anyway. Thank you!!!!

If the 4 already listed cant do it I dont know where to send you,   You did ask the 4 places already listed right ?.

I've only talked to K&G. Still looking for someone.  I can't find the 4 listed in this topic you refer to. Perhaps it's because I'm on an iPhone and my eyes aren't great! :) any suggestions very much appreciated! 

Have you considered a dual process?

It is something woodturners do regularly with wet woods. First do some rough oversized machining on the ordinary slab, do the stabilizing on the small pieces and then after the stabilizing do the final machining. (if the scales is what I think it is.)