I Forge Iron

Makeshift stump anvil

Trying to cobble together stuff to get started - picked up a free grill I have plans to line and turn into a forge, and today I picked up a stump from down the street that I hope to use for a starter anvil after smoothing it out a little. My question is - can I bolt down a piece of steel and bang on this? If so, what kind of steel would be best? I'm thinking a piece of 1/4" steel, maybe 3"x18" depending on what I can get on the cheap. I'd like to find a piece of RR track but haven't had any luck so far. Any advice is appreciated.

2015-05-02_18-59-09_759.jpg

Thicker is better and a lot of work is done on or just off the edge of the anvil. Thin plate is going to make this tough unless it's right at an edge of your stump. The more mass of steel you can get under the hammer, the better. Having said that, what you are talking about is better than nothing and would at least get you started even if there are a lot better options out there to look into.

I'd suggest putting your location in your profile so we have an idea where you are at. You might find some one local here who can make some suggestions on where to look for stuff to repurpose for an anvil. I came across a few used heavy steel swing pins for heavy equipment the other day cleaning out a buddy's old shop. The biggest one stood on end would make a useful anvil and turned on it's side would work well as a horn. The smaller longer pins I plan to reforge one into some sort of stake anvil since I don't have one yet and it was free. I've also got a length of 3x4 solid bar I may cut up for the kids to use as anvils with with scouts unless I find something bigger to use.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I'll try to be patient and look for something better. I found some RR track pieces on CL but a little too far away to drive. Also found a forklift rental close to home, might check with them for broken forks.

1/4" would be be almost useless while a section of a heavy for work be very good indeed. 

Remember what DSW said, the more mass you can get under the hammer the better, meaning actually directly under the hammer. In other words the thicker the better. Search this site for threads on anvils made from forklifts.