I Forge Iron

Plumbing in Propane?

TMIB

At the camp smithy, we are looking to replace our 100lb propane tanks with a single large tank leased from a propane supplier. The tank would be located outside the smithy, with lines run underground from the tank to the posts of the smithy building.

We currently have 5 gas forges; 4 single burner forges (from Studio 4 Forging in Seattle) and one 2 burner forge I made myself running burners from Zoeller Forge. I typically run all these forges these at around 20 psi. Right now we have them individually run to regulators on 100 lb tanks.

The propane supplier says that the maximum pressure they can legally run in the underground line is 30 psi. Assuming we can run 1″ pipe, am I going to be able to get 20 psi at 5 running forges running off the same feed line?

Yeah, 30psi through 1" pipe is enough to run probably 100, 3/4" burners. Unless you really bugger the builds on the burners you're unlikely to need more than 15psi. Even if you needed 30psi. do the arithmetic and compare the carrying capacity of 0.035" mig tip jets and a 1.00" supply line. Ah, forget the arithmetic just look it up.

It's an easy yes, that's plenty.

Frosty The Lucky.

Update: I found out today that they are planning to run 3/4" pipe.

Thanks for the help. Just to clarify, so we are on the same page, these forges run best at 20 psi. That's the way I've been running them off of individual tanks. I can drop them lower than that a bit once they really warm up, but 15-20 psi is the normal working range.

I don't know if you get 'densotape/wrap ' stateside? But if you do its really worthwhile wrapping the pipes with it before they get buried in the ground, it will extend the life of the pipe immensely.

ian, we have simular product here, infact some codes require grean plasic coted pipe with taped jouints to with in a foot of the ground. Not all juristictions requir it, and there for can be hard to sorce (Oklahoma dosn't use it, cant get it, wile despite the drier climant Arizona reqires it) tho many places are now using plastic pipe for gas

note, natural gas will cause galvi pile to flake off and plug up your orifices, propain I'm not sure of but I dont take the chance. One also sould not use teflone tape as it can dislodge and plug yiur orifices as well. Teflon pipe dope is recomended. Presure tests are highly recomended (dont back oresure your gas meater at 90psi, lol) they leak like a sive afterwords...)

Edited by Charles R. Stevens