I Forge Iron

Double door hinge

santisandreas

Hello everyone, 

I have an issue with a big door hinge that haven't done before before and i was wondering if someone has the know-how to solve this small issue for me. a couple of days ago i was invited to give an offer for a really big house being renovated in Larnaka, right in the center of town. i am very excited for this project and i hope i can get the job, but the only problem is that there is a hinge which is difficult to make, i was asked to make one of each piece needed at this job, in order to prove to the architect that i will be able to make everything he needs. he has his doughts because i am new in this line of work and a bit young. As seen in the image below this is double hinge where i am not sure how i can make the connection in the middle. can anyone explain how it is made? i just thought that i can make the same circle done for the pin at the first end, where the hinge is joined at the wall and then cut the slice needed in the middle so the secondary hinge can pass through there and insert the pin. is this the proper way to about it? or does anyone have any other ideas? thanks in advance! hope this helps and someone else in the future!    

20150424_130635.jpg

What you described is the simplest way, it's not really difficult and if you use a grinder it's quite quick. Once its made up screw the two pieces to a 2x2 piece of wood and drill the hole for the hinge pin/rivet. That way you get a tight and proper fit.

You might find it worthwhile to 'play' and make a few short ones, it will be good experience and then you can take the best example to the architect. Speaking as an ex. Architect I can tell you that when craftsmen make unsolicited samples just to convince you that they can do it certainly indicates ability and above all willingness to please.

Edited by ianinsa

All you need is the hinge and a small section of strap to show your work. Practice, make several hinges, then choose those that look and work best for display. Depending on the weight of the door you may need 3 or 4 hinges to carry the load. You may want to make the hinge a little wider and use 4 knuckles / two per hinge. Knuckles 1 and 3 on one half or side and knuckles 2  and 4 on the other half or side of the hinge.

If you install the anchor points into the wall, make then overly strong.

Edited by Glenn

I can't tell from the picture/paint if those are rolled from the bottom, or if they are rolled from the top and forge welded across the back.  Either way, I would probably bend up 2 barrels and then hacksaw/slicewheel the knuckles out and dress with a file until they match up good, and there's no sharp edges.

Also, from experience at work, whatever you do for a pin, make sure it is either welded on top, or has a good head to keep the weather/dust from getting in through the top of the hinge.  A little oil hole drilled into the side of the top knuckle might not be a bad idea either.

thanks a lot for your advice! i did make two attempts to experiment firstly and then did the real thing which came out successful. i made two rolls and sliced the one with an angle grinder and then the other one which goes into the middle was cut to length before bending and a bit wider than needed, in order to be on the safe side. it was bent round and then grinned to reduce the width as required to achieve a precise fit. the pin was inserted and welded at the bottom only. then the whole thing was heated into the forge and moved while hot to be sure that it slides smoothly and to remove minor imperfections.    

20150427_160046.jpg

20150427_160036.jpg

20150427_160021.jpg

20150427_155826.jpg

20150427_155836.jpg

20150427_155844.jpg

20150427_155851.jpg

20150427_155904.jpg

20150427_155922.jpg

20150427_155931.jpg

20150427_160010.jpg

20150427_160057.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hello again, just a question. does anyone want to speculate on how much an item like this should be charged? roughly... just to get an idea on pricing from more experienced people.. thanks in advance.. i will post some other items as well along the way from the same job.