I Forge Iron

Just a little about me

I figure it's over due but I guess it's better late than never. I honestly done know what all to say so I'll just ramble a little and if anyone is curious about anything I'll answer any questions as they arise.

I'll start out by saying I've been blacksmithing (in the most basic sense) for about 3 years. Mostly I mess around with scrap/found materials with the occasional new steel. 

My setup is rather basic including two pieces of rail, a block of steel (fabricated from 3/8" plate) four hammers, one good set of tongs and misc chisels and files, and an ever changing solid fuel forge. I've attached a few pictures showing of my wonderful tools.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with your kit, it'll do most anything you can do on it. A tip I like to pass on for rail on end anvils is to grind the edges of the flange and web for hardy, butcher, fuller, etc.

As you stated already, you're well past your "Welcome aboard" date. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Truth be told, I mostly use the rail on end as a fuller since the rail is smaller than all but my 16oz ballpien. I will remember the tip if I end up getting a bigger piece at a later time. I can get almost as much accomplished on my small piece that measures about 3" long x 6" tall as I can the other. I have the small piece sitting on a block made up of 3/8" steel plate that's about 4x5x7 iirc. Both are sitting on 6x6" bases. I actually used to complain about not having a 'real' anvil until I started paying more attention to what I was doing and im quite happy with what I can get done with what I have. Still want a real one but relatively happy with what I have for now.

Edited by M Cochran

I hope you saved the peice of flange and web you cut from the vertical rail, if you slice it in half, forming two "T"'s you can form one to a nice (if small) double bick, the other can be made in to a nice small stake tool.  

If you chose to cut the flage from the other rail you can set it into a block/stump. This will leave you with a flange that can be used for tools, including a classic "L" shaped bick. 

Edited by Charles R. Stevens

Charles, I hope that one day I'll be able to pass along some of this knowledge I've gathered.

Frosty, I've heard rr rail could be used like that but I'm unsure of this one specifically. This one is rather soft, I can hit cold 1/4" mild and it'll mark the rail some. I've also cut some of the bottom flange with a hacksaw. I will try to see if the smaller bits I have will harden, I could definitely definitely use a better hot cut than what I have lol.

Rail as used by the RR is NOT through hardened as they need it tough. Only the tire contact surface has been induction hardened a few thousandths deep. Play with it before you commit yourself to all the work of a blade so you'll know what to expect, the stuff can be REALLY brittle.

Frosty The Lucky.