I Forge Iron

Hammer ID and Use

smfg_mendo

That's a top swage, 1/2" sq straight and 3/8" sq cross. It works the square on the diamond and would require a bottom swage to match and form square stock to size.

Alternate uses would be to say form a nice crisp 90 bend. Rough bend it over the anvil's edge, forge it reasonably tight the lay this over the HOT stock over the edge of the anvil and give it a couple sharp smacks till you have the bend you want.

Nice tool, lots of life in it yet, just don't swing it like a hammer.

Frosty the Lucky

We'll forgive you . . . this time. <grin> Decent hammer rack and good use for an old pallet. Before you put that or other top tools to work grind a proper chamfer on the struck end, mushroomed ends can chip and do serious harm. A post was made just today by a fellow who was driving a wedge that chipped, a splinter was fired THROUGH his SHIN BONE! Tools on the anvil tend to be on a level WAY too close to my femoral arteries and Jewels to take a chance. Take a look at a new chisel for an example.

Frosty the Lucky

Edited by Frosty

• 1 month later...

I have a similar style struck tool, they're used for sharpening/re-shaping the cutting bits of pneumatic drills, used in mining/rock quarrying. There was an example included as part of a display in the Royal British Columbia Museum, Victoria B.C. Canada.

I do have pictures, but not on file in the laptop I'm currently using.