I Forge Iron

Moloch Hammer motor

I recently purchased a 50lb moloch and the motor worked fine for a few weeks, however now it seems to be over heating and keeps shutting off. I was wondering what size motor is recommended for that hammer? I was also wondering if there was somewhere to get a new belt for the slip clutch and new dies? Thank you for any help

I have a 50lb moloch . When I purchased this hammer it came with an AO smith Century 230v 3.0 hp ( motor works great by the way) 50lb little giant dies should fit. You may have to fit the die shims a little.  My clutch may be different than yours.  I will try to post some pics.

I believe the Moloch/Mayer dies are slightly different than Little Giant's, but Roger Rice at LG has both.  What size was your motor?   I would think a 2hp or 3hp motor would work well.   The 50# Mayer I'm going through now has been running for years on a 1.5hp motor.

Edited by Black Frog

The motor is 1.5 hp, and had been working well for about two months before I started having problems with it. It is an older motor so I wasn't sure if it was undersized or just getting old? I was also wondering if there was somewhere to find plans or schematics on this hammer to help in repair/rebuild?