I Forge Iron

Swapmeet scores this morning! Add to last weeks!

Figured I would share todays score before work. Not as large as last saturdays, but still pretty cool.

Bell system pic#1

vaughn Pic#2

vaughn pic#3

heller 1 1/2 pic#4

craftsman vise pic #5

machinist blocks pic#10

not sure on one ball hammer...

pic#8 says Maydox ball hammer pretty big...

and a wierd red flatter type hammer that is disigned to have no recoil bounce..has counter weight inside. Anyone know what its for?

20150328_104940_resized.jpg

20150328_105012_resized.jpg

20150328_105020_resized.jpg

20150328_105032_resized.jpg

20150328_105115_resized.jpg

20150328_105040_resized.jpg

20150328_105125_resized.jpg

20150328_105050_resized.jpg

20150328_105058_resized.jpg

20150328_105133_resized.jpg

Fuller is the heller in picture #4 right?.....please, I won't get mad, so act like I am mentally ill and don't know what a striker is.... lol I am still learning names of things.

And a 1 2 3 is a ?

Dead blow, kinda cool name. As in it stops cold on striking right...?

sorry for the rapid posts...but I consulted my friend google, and got a idea of what a 1 2 3 block is...The old guy (retired machinist) just gave me the block either he is showing me a kindness or because I've bought blocks from him 3 weeks in a row lol

I figure I would turn the other blocks into hardies....

thought would be cheaper than buying them..

Pretty nice score . . . AGAIN! I'm beginning to suffer serious swap meet envy. <sigh> Ball peins are good to pick up if the price is right, manufacturers not that important unless it's something rare enough to sell. Nice fuller. A striker is the guy standing on the other side of the anvil with the sledge hammer who hits what you direct him to with a blow from the hammer in your hand.

Old blacksmith joke. Master smith to new apprentice, "take the sledge hammer and stand there, when I nod my head you hit it."

The wrench is a Monkey wrench, the old school adjustable wrench like a Crescent. They make good twisting wrenches if you want to weld a second handle on it in line with the existing one. However, twisting wrenches aren't that hard to make and don't really need to be adjustable.

That's a nice little drill or mill vise. Keep it in good shape, you'll use it a LOT on the drill press. If you don't have a drill press now you'll get one, they're just too useful not to have.

You got it in one, a dead blow just stops on impact. A steel faced one would work nicely for setting welds, minimize rebound and shearing from a too hard blow. Lots of things a dead blow hammer are good for.

It's hard to tell what the pein on the Bell systems hammer is so no telling what it might be good for. Probably a tin knocker's hammer but it might be pointed and a mason's hammer. We'd need a look at the pein end on to make an educated guess.

Nice scores all round.

Frosty The Lucky.

The vise was the most expensive at $5 or was it the machinist block....i forget...all in all I think I paid $25-35 for everything. Hard to remember...but the fun was in the looking. What ever I don't use I can sell later on...really liked the vise too.

Anybody ever bring you two empty 5gl. buckets and chalk your name on the flight line? Best comeback I ever saw personally was when one of the foremen sent a new guy to get elbow grease. The new guy gave him a couple tubes of KY jelly at dispatch the next morning. We laughed about Bob's elbow grease for years, probably still laughing.

I do so love a good comeback.

Frosty The Lucky.

At times strikers are real handy to have around. In some situations it is real difficult to hold the item, punch, and hammer it at the same time. Having a striker also make larger diameter work easier to deal with. Having one who lives close is a big plus.

I use my 1_2_3 blocks at work fairly often.