I Forge Iron

Rail Road Spike Steak Turner w/ Bottle opener

norrin_radd

I made this for a family member. Tried to put a "pineapple" twist in it for a handle, came out a little wonky but it works. Stretched out the spike head into a bottle opener, it actually works.

2015-03-19%2018.49.32.png2015-03-19%2018.50.25.png

Actually made a video of the transformation just for kicks- fun with timelapse!

Not bad at all. Who could ask for more than a steak turner bottle opener in one? Pineapple twists take a little practice but you'll get the hang soon enough. They're really flashy demo techniques.

That isn't wonky, it's designed in character, to represent the transitioning nature of the art and human expression. . . artsy bla bla bla. You DO know blacksmithing and Bull Shooting have the same abbreviation for a reason yes? <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Not bad at all. Who could ask for more than a steak turner bottle opener in one? Pineapple twists take a little practice but you'll get the hang soon enough. They're really flashy demo techniques.

That isn't wonky, it's designed in character, to represent the transitioning nature of the art and human expression. . . artsy bla bla bla. You DO know blacksmithing and Bull Shooting have the same abbreviation for a reason yes? <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

​Thanks for the comments. Yeah I've picked up on BS's similarities ;)  .  Its funny my first pinepple twist attempt on piece of scrap bar went ok. But when it counted I kinda blew it. oh well its all part of it.

norrin, nice looking combo, turner and opener.

I fuller/draw out long lengths hammering against the horn.  Goes faster and is smooth.  Try it sometime.

Thanks a lot. ​I'll definitely try that next time.  For some reason I have this irrational fear of damaging my horn with heavy forging, I just have to get over that.

​Thanks for the comments. Yeah I've picked up on BS's similarities ;)  .  Its funny my first pinepple twist attempt on piece of scrap bar went ok. But when it counted I kinda blew it. oh well its all part of it.

norrin, nice looking combo, turner and opener.

Thanks a lot. ​I'll definitely try that next time.  For some reason I have this irrational fear of damaging my horn with heavy forging, I just have to get over that.

​With things like your turners, not a problem.  I've drawn/fullered 3/4" bar stock on the horn.  Just don't use a sledge on the tip!!!!!!

The problem you ran into with your twist happened because you drew out the point and opener first. If you do the twists first it's easy to transition it into the other features, much MUCH easier than trying to twist in a limited and thinned section.

The wrench and vise draw heat quickly and if it's thin like the taper to the point it draws heat much faster so it's much harder to get even twists. Leaving it full thickness and twisting gives you a larger reservoir of heat so it all stays more evenly hot.

Don't worry, horns are meant to be beaten on as are the tails just don't use a sledge at the tip it'll be fine. LOUD sure but you won't hurt it.

.Frosty The Lucky.

The problem you ran into with your twist happened because you drew out the point and opener first. If you do the twists first it's easy to transition it into the other features, much MUCH easier than trying to twist in a limited and thinned section.

The wrench and vise draw heat quickly and if it's thin like the taper to the point it draws heat much faster so it's much harder to get even twists. Leaving it full thickness and twisting gives you a larger reservoir of heat so it all stays more evenly hot.

​That makes sense. I will remember that on the next one. I've been collecting spikes to make these for thank you gifts for folks that helped on my shop. I'll probably get it right on the very last one :wacko:

thanks

Nice video.  I keep saying I'll make a flipper out of some of the railroad spikes I have, but now you've really motivated me.

As for turning the hook the wrong way.... nope.  I've done that before and just market them as "southpaw" flippers.  People that are left-handed are always left out of the game because everything seems to be designed for right-handed folks, and southpaws really appreciate when a smith takes their needs into account.

Hey thanks a lot for the comment, glad it motivated ya, must of been the music ;). I actually had it turned for the right hand but I didn't have it lined up the way I wanted when it was held. It wasn't lined up like you would naturally hold it if it was a knife or something, if that makes any sense. To me, turning those hooks is an interesting exercise in 3D thinking.

I know what you mean about the southpaws though, I have at least 2 to make.

thanks again,