I Forge Iron

Some San Mai for the Kitchen

j.w.s.

Here's a piece I finished this past weekend. Some untraditional san mai, meaning I'm using 15N20 for the outer jack instead of low carbon and 1084 for the core. Blade was forged in the style of a gyuto with a right hand bevel to the edge and a mostly flat obverse. Next time I do this I would like to try my hand at forging the urasuki, or concave back, but I admit I'm not all that up on traditional Japanese knife making plus I think it would help to start with a thicker billet and file more away so as not to lose it. Blade is 7", overall is 11.25", handle is partially figured koa and the total weight is 8.65oz.

J

15_-_1.thumb.jpg.2b97b287a84b1fe85d77a0e15_-_3.thumb.jpg.20fc3850680729625eed10515_-_5.thumb.jpg.d8494ddd0854e13bb4edf5615_-_2.thumb.jpg.69cb9af8768ee04f13c67b7

I really like the looks of this one, nicely photographed too. Is that a red spacer under the scales, or is that just the epoxy?

Thank you.. it's red spacer.. I use red on my kitchen knives and black on my others.. because I'm strange like that. I've seen red epoxy being used, mostly by some Pakistani smiths I know, I'm not sure how they make it but its like an opaque paste, and I make a translucent black epoxy with India ink but it doesnt hold up the color all that well when sanded so I stick with the fiber.. just wish I knew of an alternative source.. at $1.25 a sheet from Jantz I burn through about 15 sheets a month when I'm busy. it's not the price that bothers me, its the fact that I cant find it under some other name at a local store when I forget to order more!

J

Buy pigment. The stuff used to be pretty common even in auto parts stores. The same stuff used for polyester resin works for epoxy though I'd experiment before committing to something important. Try an auto paint or boat supply, surfboard suppliers are probably not so common in your neighborhood.

Frosty The Lucky.

Buy pigment. The stuff used to be pretty common even in auto parts stores. The same stuff used for polyester resin works for epoxy though I'd experiment before committing to something important. Try an auto paint or boat supply, surfboard suppliers are probably not so common in your neighborhood.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, I'll look around. I'm In Manheim, where there's about a hundred detailing shops and paint shops because of the rather large auto auction in town, so I'm sure I'll be able to track some down. Surfboard suppliers are pretty sparse though - not too much surfing happening on the Susquehanna.. :)

J

I'm very new to this so I'm going to ask a question that is likely to be painfully obvious to everyone else.  Did you sandwich a bar of 1084 between two bars of 15N20, then forge welded them and hammered to get that pattern? Was it etched with something to bring out the pattern?

Stunningly beautiful knife!

I'm very new to this so I'm going to ask a question that is likely to be painfully obvious to everyone else.  Did you sandwich a bar of 1084 between two bars of 15N20, then forge welded them and hammered to get that pattern? Was it etched with something to bring out the pattern?

​nevermind - figured it out doing searches.

exactly how I do it. :)

J