I Forge Iron

Fem sculpture in plate

Well, I've got a new interest in large torch cut sculpture in plate. This is the result of that. It's a sort of abstract, implied female figure cut out of 1" plate. I still need to come up with a stand for it so that it will be held so that one can view it from both sides. I have a few ideas in mind and I want the base to be a different color. Perhaps stainless, aluminum, or red rusted iron. I will try to sell this through a local art gallery.

What do you think?
Ty

4167.attach

4168.attach

Nice, I can picture it as a garden feature, with lots of lush foilage surrounding it, or even at the centre of a water feature.

That is some thick plate to cut through, I bet you went through a bit of Oxy/AC!

I think you are right, the stand will ultimately depend upon where its final destination is.

My only one suggestion, (and it is only my opinion), is that on the right side, it seems to have a straight up and down edge, which catches my eye and stands out as a straight line, whereas most other lines are curves. You could think about putting some curve in there (Or not, only a suggestion!)

Nice work.

Niice.. .altho I would have cut a part out where the "burning bush" should be. . .and maybe a belly button .. .so as there's no doubt

I also would polish it to a mirror finish or pass all over it with an automated wire brush ..then . .it should definetely be laquered or waxed or something to prevent rust . .

about the stand . .make it from the same type of plate steel, and don;t weld it on ..at least not visibly . cut a slot in a piece of plate and ram the sculpture in it. .the weld it on the side that will be on the ground. .so no welds are visible. .( or grind the welds down so it looks like a whole piece. ..)
or maybe two long parallel pieces of plate with notches cut in them. .and the sculpture goes in those notches. . if you look at it from above it should look like an H |-|
I like the way your sculpture makes you think of the female form in a subtle way ..you are good !

Nice work Tyler! What's great in this stage of Tyler's work is that nothing's ever been created that looks just like that..I'm for it. What's strange is, a 4# sledge hammer with some snake oil for a finish is worth about $75, and Fem #1 is worth whatever you ask for it! You are doing great in your creative process.. If you need suggestions, I have two.. Take an art class series at your local community college. I'm not saying your piece needs critiqueing, I'm fine with it. If you want to sell a series of these, it might be nice to know why DaVinci and Picasso's works are heralded. The second is Inter-library-loan the big book about David Smith, metal sculptor. I looked at it while at a friends house, don't know the isbn#. He influenced, and was influenced by Picasso. A lot of his stuff looks strange to me, but he was partially responsible for the iron sculpture revival of the 20th century. You may have to schlep your work around to different shows for a while, but someone's going to see it and just have to have it. I have a very utilitarian backgroud in logging and ranching, it's taken me 20 years to start building things that don't keep cows locked in. It's really rewarding (in my mind) to build a piece that doesn't do anything except provoke thought.

David Smith is a well reknowned metal sculptor, you might also check out some info on Julio Gonzales, Gonzales and Smith are both considered the "godfathers" of modern abstract metal sculpture. Lots fo good info on the net as well. If you are ever in Dallas Tx. I highly recommend a visit to the Nasher Sulpture Center across the street form the modern art musem They have a few David Smith and Julio Gonzales sculptures, as well as some Piccaso's and many other well known artist, it will truly open your eyes, or you can visit there web site, heres a link. Enjoy, and I think this is my first post so hello all.
Nasher Sculpture Center: Nasher

Looks good!

1" is pretty thick, if this is something your really gonna get into you may consider one of these, if you don't have one already;

Petrogen | Petrogen Oxy-Gasoline Cutting Systems Home Page

Definitly the way to go if you do a lot of torch work and thick cutting, it will pay for itself in the first year, even sooner if you put a $ on your time.

welder19

Tyler: Nice job! Have you ever been around Tatum New Mexico?
There is a Cowboy Sculptor in Tatum who does a lot of plate sculpture.
There's not a ranch for 100 miles around there that does not have his work over the entrance to the ranch. Anyone who gets in the area should stop at his shop it's awesome!

I'm not sure how well this will work? The link I tried would not work for me, but will try anyway. My father was a preacher in Tatum for 7 yrs after he retired from Maytag. I toured one of these shops in 1990 when we visited for christmas. I think it was the one on 380.
Poor Boy's Metal Art Shop: 263 Highway 380, Tatum, (505) 398-2893
Westcraft Metal Art Inc. - 500 W. Broadway, Tatum, (505) 398-5295
Well this at least gets you a picture Poor Boys Metal Art, New Mexico

Also between Altoona & Mitchelville, Iowa ther is a home right along I80(south) There is a lit up Flag pole with the steel sillohettes(sp?) of two soldiers kneeling in tribute.(way cool in my opinion!).

Very nice Tyler! and did I hear correct that ya don't even have an art class under your belt?! I must admit though at first I had to scoot back from the computer to see it. Then when I saw it it was a "DOH! There it is!" on my part.
So, Tyler, how much for the object de' arte'? :)
-Aaron @ the SCF

P.S. Ya'll wanna see some MASSIVE awe inspiring plate-work, google "st louis zoo metal sculpture" that thing is a beauty. Heck, I spent more time looking at it than I did any of the animals in the zoo, much to the wife's chagrin :)

That's right Aaron, no art classes. A lot of people don't see it at first glance, and some people don't see it even at second glance. The fact that some people can see it, and some people can't see it is a good thing if you ask me. I'm not sure what I'm going to sell it for yet. Probabably less than $1,000. though. Know someone who's interested?