I Forge Iron

New to me LG 50

Not sure if that is a transitional style.... It has the old style wrap around ram guide, and the t-style toggle arms.  But it does have the separate sow block in place....    Looks like it has had some repair work done?  Not sure what's going on with that right side toggle arm length?  Looks like there has been contact between the toggle arms and the sides of the wrap around guide.   Are the dies too low?

But I'm even more interested in the red hammer in the background!  Details?

BF-  Looks like a Scranton or Williams & White?

OP-  Any power hammer is better than no power hammer.  That being said, enjoy the journey.  LG's in top condition are fine but rare, your's isn't one.  Lots of good info on here about rebuilding LG's, read up, take your time, and expect to spend a little additional $.  Looks like a crack in the toggle arm in picture #2, could be shadows/pics on the internet, but inspect very closely (disassemble, clean well, then inspect) before running that hammer flat out.  Build guards and a brake at the same time.

I'd rather have the Scranton.  If that LG is a replacement for it send me a PM, I might be interested in buying.  

background hammer is an iron store giant. It needs a lot of work. Picked it up 2 years ago in anticipation of retiring. Retiring this year so will have time to rebuild both. The iron store giant was rebuilt with a stroke much too long and when ran broke the top of the pillow block for the crank. So need to rework the entire linkage and machine a replacement pillow block cap. Within my capabilities, I have a pretty complete machine shop, but just haven't had the time to devote as of yet. 

The LG has had a repair, and the clutch seems to be frozen. Planning on tearing it down and installing new linkage. It apparently sat in a barn for over a decade unused. Craigslist find bought it and about 50 tongs and a champion forge for $2500. Was real happy that day. Even a blind hog finds a few nuts ;-)

Was thinking of doing a series on here when I start working on the iron store giant. There is just a couple of mentions in pounding out the profits of the iron store giant. Haven't been able to find anyone else who has had one. So might be of some historical use...

Even a blind hog finds a few nuts ;-)

​We get a lot of folk finding their way here like that. You found the mother lode. <grin>

That looks a lot like mine except for the sow block. Send Sid the serial number he'll give you what history he has. A brake is a good thing and a guard can help keep a plastic surgeon from buying a new boat.

As this evening's experiment with the new software let's see if a thumbnail of my LG's scatter shield makes it. . . . WOW, my thumb must be bigger than I thought!

Frosty The Lucky.

LGspring guard01.jpg

Edited by Frosty