I Forge Iron

Spalted maple

billyO

Hello all.  I spent the last few days cutting up the stump that the burl came off of, thinking I may get some nice scales for any knife that may be in my future.  I cut the stump into rounds, then the rounds into blocks approx. 2" x 1.75" x 4-6" (+/-).  Well, after 2 days and 2/3 through the pile of rounds, I've got about 250-300 blocks packed into 2 large coolers with sawdust and I asked myself, "what the heck am I going to do with these?"   I'm assuming these are worth something.  Probably more if dried and stabilized?  Are they worth anything as is, cut and green?  Here's a sample:

post-29018-0-76840400-1424143376_thumb.j

You 'might' have a problem with the blocks if they are kept in coolers.  Most of the moisture will become trapped in the container, and might lead to more degradation.  An old turners trick is to pack the wood and sawdust into brown paper bags for drying.  The paper is just porous enough to let moisture out, but slowly.

Personally, I would dry the pieces for a couple of years, then see how they look at that time.