I Forge Iron

A small hand held rivet anvil, used for backing up rivets.  I like the offset design, so you can get the snout into a tight space and near a corner.  It weighs about 5 lbs.

post-10347-0-67058300-1423263094_thumb.j

Picture of the end for the rivet head.

post-10347-0-98008100-1423263112_thumb.j

Very few people who visit the museum have any idea what it is used for.

The offset is useful for the row of rivets closest to the (perpendicular) connected beam. I have used them before on restoration of a bridge. The term for the person charged with holding the pre-formed rivet head in place (with this tool) while the other head is formed is known as the "bucker-upper"....not a fun job. Also, they ended up deciding to use T.C. bolts after a while haha.

The offset is useful for the row of rivets closest to the (perpendicular) connected beam. I have used them before on restoration of a bridge. The term for the person charged with holding the pre-formed rivet head in place (with this tool) while the other head is formed is known as the "bucker-upper"....not a fun job. Also, they ended up deciding to use T.C. bolts after a while haha.

You are the first person who has ever said that they actually have used one of these as part of their work.  Very cool.

I haven't used one like that Josh but I've bucked a rivet or two. It's called a rivet buck as is the person holding it though being called a bucker upper doesn't surprise me a bit.

My maternal Grandmother was a rivet buck and cable lacer at Boeing during WWII, her area was inside the wings because she was little. Not that it makes ME an expert but she had pictures of her holding bucks. She had a number, depending on things like position, size, etc.

How's this for a little creepy, Grandmother was HOT!

Frosty The Lucky.

Aircraft maintenance same thing just on a smaller scale with aluminum rivets. Tricky part is staying straight on both sides so the buck tail doesnt tip and the die for the rivet head doesnt contact the structure leaving little crescent smiles around the rivet head. Also if you overdrive the rivet it work hardens and cracks so you have to drill it out and try again. Monel rivets are fun as well!

There almost gets to be a telepathic communication between the driver and the bucker when one is inside the fuselage and the other is outside, both hopefully wearing hearing PPE.