I Forge Iron

Greetings from Norway

Marius1975

Hello all.
I am Marius from Norway. I am new to blacksmithing but have done mechanical work for about 20 years now. Currently I am working as a service engineer in Oil and gas industry. The reason I want to start smithing is to make woodworking tools. I like old tools and crafts. Thanks to all who have been sharing on these forums here. It is a gold mine of information for newbies like me. I have an anvil and a post vise, going to build a charcoal forge and study the information available here. Again thanks a lot and have a great day all.
Best regards Marius

Welcome Marius, i too share your interest in learning to make woodworking tools to avoid paying the high prices of modern brand hand tools, or having to search high and low for what i am currently seeking, get some basics down and you will have any tool you want, actually my first project for the day will be forging a new drawknife out of a farriers rasp. Your absolutely correct, there is a gold mine of info on here ( Or is it Iron Mine). Welcome to your new addiction, you have found a great support group!  

Might I recommend "The compleat modern blacksmith" by Alexander G. Weygers. As he was a wood and stone carver, with a background ias a ships engineer with one of the Nordic navies back when ships came with forges and power hammers.
By no means a definitive text but a good primer. I also recommend basic, intermediate and advanced blacksmithing by J.B. Stokes. A set of publications by the U.N. again a good start into practical smithing.
Welcome to the forum, warning, you wouldn't be the first wood worker who intended to forge his own tools and became a smith that also works wood, lol.

Welcome aboard Marius, glad to have you. There are a lot of folk blacksmithing today because sometime in the past, they wanted that special chisel, planer knife, etc. and didn't want to pay to have one made.

Just be aware I think most of them don't do as much wood working anymore, blacksmithing is so addictive so they just don't have the time now.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi All

Thank you for the replies. I already have a copy of the complete modern blacksmith. I also have a few of the old books that is available for free in project Gutenberg and various other sources. I bought a lot of books when I started woodworking, only to find that the best books were written a 100 years ago or more.....and they were free. I hope the same goes for blacksmith books. Thanks for the welcome and book recommendations.

Best regards Marius

For the most part it holds true for blacksmithing as well as farriery as well. Tho the modern wrighters have somthing to contribute. At least for an english speaker, modern wrighters (and even more so, Iforgeiron) shows non powerhamer/striker technikes and non english/american ecsentric methods.
I know my fellow Americans may lynch me, but the "American way" isn't the only right way

Hi there fellow Norwegian. I am in Hordaland. Not much there tough, I work abroad and I am married in the Philippines so I spend my spare time there.Sorry if the title of the tread is misleading. So my blacksmithing will be done in Philippines. I hope to take a one week class in basic blacksmithing in either Hjerleid Norway or Granfors bruk in Sweden. If only I can find the time and convince my wife...Who is your favorite modern blacksmith writer Charles? I am also looking for a reference book in blacksmithing. 

For you Marius I would suggest these, in this order:

http://cdon.no/b%C3%B8ker/bergland,_h%C3%A5vard/kunsten_%C3%A5_smi-927620 Håvard Bergland - "Kunsten å smi" (Curriculum at Hjerleid school)
http://www.adlibris.com/se/bok/nya-jarnsmidesboken-9789197563499 Norèn og Enander - "Nya järnsmidesboken"
http://www.adlibris.com/se/bok/klassiskt-jarnsmide-9789197261586 Norèn og Enander - "Klassiskt järnsmide"