I Forge Iron

brittle metal???

I was given some metal that was un- weldable, weld would stick and break while cooling. Thought it would be good to practice forging with being new to smithing.The metal has a number on it(ht A27504).5 inch thick. but it seems to be too brittle for forging as well. I have pic, but not sure how to up load. I will search that so i can show what it looks like in the broken stat. Anyone know how i can figure out what type metal/ steel it is?

Hard to say, ht 27504 could be a heat number which would probably only mean something to the manufacturer. What shape is this, flat bar, round bar, square bar? Will a magnet stick to it? What do the sparks look like when you put a grinder to it? Where did it come from?

You should probably start with materials the origin of which you know. Go to the local steel yard or a scrap yard (with someone who knows metal) and pick up some low carbon hot rolled bars for a start.

Various countries and  manufacturers use different codes as well, Russia and Canada both use their own systems,  not knowing where you are does not help us help you.  It could be almost anything from what little you told us,  Possible Cast Iron, Bryllium Bronze, Unobtainium could be fun too, If you could give us real information we may be able to give you better answers. Sorry.

My first thought when he said 'welds break when cooling' is one of the leaded or high manganese resulfurized free machining steels. If the manganese level is above 12%, the steel will be non-magnetic. You sometimes see half inch plate in the scrap stream as leftovers from abrasion-resistant earth-moving equipment. Only way to cut it is with oxy-acetylene or plasma.

Patroy,
A magnet does stick, spark test has more spark than mild steel. It is flat bar 1.125x .250. When it breaks, it is a clean break. What happened to me was i forged a piece 2.5 ft long, forged the ends down to .5 round 6 in long. It Popped about 7 in on one end. Maybe i got it too hot and putting in on the weld table acted as a heat sink. Just my guess. I will try some more soon. Thanks everyone for the info