I Forge Iron

Anvil Weight vs Hammer Weight Question

LibrariaNPC

it is not the size or style of the anvil. A block of steel will work just fine I have made my own. The key is your anvil needs to be attached to the earth. A few year ago I was at a museum in Alaska they had a blacksmith display a few tools and a bunch of pictures. The blacksmith anvil weight was 35# He had to transport all his equipment from town to town with a Mule.

I would definitely consider that colonial anvil you linked to.  That's a fine tool and in very good condition for its age.  Head and shoulders above the harbor freight monstrosity you're currently using.  If you can talk them down any on the price, that's just an added bonus.  I wouldn't worry about $400 if you have the cash on hand because you can always sell the anvil next year for $300 - your total investment would only be $100.

When you see what a difference there is between a real anvil and what you're using, you'll shake your head in wonder.  Folks just don't understand how much extra work goes into forging on a lump of cast iron!

As for transporting it outside, leave it permanently fastened to the stump and turn the stump into a dolly with wheels and a removable handle.  There are plenty of photos wheeled/portable stumps all over the internet.  No extra room needed to stow a dolly when the stump is the dolly.

I'm actually following a lead on a different anvil this weekend (a 134# Hay Budden), but that colonial is still on the docket just in case.

Do you have any good examples of turning the stump into the dolly? I'm not sure what's going to be effective in practice (as I get the theory and the pics help), so I'm up for suggestions!

When I lived in the inner city I used to carry my 93# anvil up from the basement across the kitchen and out the back door. Then repeat with two buckets of tools. I left the stump outside and never had the stump stolen... Having to do this tends to "focus" your smithing times.

I used to have to bring the postvise as well till I came up with a system too heavy to steal and then made a set of mounting fittings that I WELDED so theft would take a lot of noisy time with an angle grinder---(sure did when I moved!)

Of course one of the advantages of living in the inner city was a general disregard to having "stuff" in the yard and working on things there too.

Did you mount the anvil to the stump, then, or did you have a different way to rig it so it didn't move but could be easily removed? Would you mind enlightening me, because if I can leave something outside or just have an easier time moving things, that'd be great.

Currently, my "stump" has a tool belt attached to better hold a number of my frequently used tools at the forge/anvil (will need to attach another belt at this rate!), so I don't think I want to leave it outside, but as I'll need a new setup for the new anvil, I'm curious if there's a way to easily just mount/unmount it as needed.

I placed the anvil on a piece of scrap 2x6 and traced the curve the bottom of the sides had and then cut those out. Then I placed the anvil on the stump and nailed the cut out pieces where they fit.  Easy to lift the anvil off vertically but controlled movement front to back or side to side.  Did not quiet it though so I did the chain around the waist and speaker magnet under the heel.  I still use this method for a lot of my teaching anvils that are on the road a lot.  I've even used it for the anvil on a metal stand by drilling a couple of holes in the stand and lagging the wood chunks from the bottom.  I also use the wood piece to show that black iron is still hot.  When they get too grungy I make another set and toss the old ones in the woodstove.

My main shop anvil just has a handful of fence staples to corral it. At a bit over 500 pounds it will walk under sledging but won't jump so a staple works fine: two in front, two in back and a couple on the sides. As it's a Fisher I don't need to quiet it.

• 3 weeks later...

Having been in the place where you are currently at - let me add a few comments. 1) Read everything 2)Gather as much insight as possible from people who have done what you are doing. This will save you $$$ in the future. I realize this isn't overly helpful at the moment. I made my first anvil; which I still use, out of rail road track for $100.00. You have paid good money for your HF. People love/hate them whatever...use it until is brakes into two halves. Seriously, if your using it that much its shortcoming will become clear to you over time. Take this info and file it away until its time to buy another one. Until that happens beat the xxxx out of it and get your money's worth. I had a gas forge based on a small burnz-o-matic hand held torch, not ideal but again functional for small items. I used this until I could gather enough info to be confident in building my own forge. I built that for about $50.00 and 40 of that was refactory product. With where you are located, I would strongly suggest a gas forge. Easy on easy off no smell...your neighbors will be xxxxxx off enough from the loud banging. We all started with meager means; just keep going, learning, and building the tools you will need. Respect, Senator