I Forge Iron

What is this contraption?

arkie

We were demo'ing at an antique tractor show this past fall and the item pictured was being auctioned off...problem was, no one knew what it was!!!!!!!! :wacko:

It's about 4 feet tall.  The markings "C&E" might mean something to someone.  Looks like some kind of brake or clutch in the small center drum.  Anyone have an idea what this is?

post-44354-0-37708800-1420407683_thumb.jpost-44354-0-08819800-1420407721_thumb.jpost-44354-0-97325600-1420407735_thumb.j

BTW, Steve and Glenn...the photo uploads worked OK.

Jeremy and Jim, thanks for the quick ID on the mystery item!!  :)

I googled for C & E, farm equipment, etc., etc. on searches for a long time without success.  It was amazing that people were bidding on something that seemingly no one knew what it was.  Maybe they just wanted it in case it turned out to be something valuable.  It looked like some parts might be missing, but who knew.  I bet there was some old farmer or blacksmith there who secretly knew it's purpose but wouldn't say.

Follow up:  Based on your description, I now had a name for it.  Googled "antique buffalo forge blower" and shazamm.....lots of pictures popped up exactly like the ones I posted and you two described.  IFI rocks!