I Forge Iron

Any users out there with cnc plasma cutting recommendations for the little guy?

2ndChanceCowboy

Hey guy n any girls lurking out there too. Am giving serious thought to a cnc plasma system. As I am seeking to work smarter vs harder as with bending over cutting numerous items multiple times a day perhaps.
For much of my work day will need to be done sitting unfortunately. Not how I like it, yet that's lifes deal today.

I know there's a 100 manufacturers an types out there today. Yet am looking for longevity an ease of use. As my ole back n thought process remains substantially limited. I just can't do it for very long these days.

If anyone has any real world use an applications you'd advise. I'd be most grateful n appreciated to boot.

I'd like to be able to cover a wide use platform. Able to cut perhaps 3/4 inch plate, yet would be more apt to use from 1/16 to 3/8" on a regular basis I'd think.

I'd like to get into custom gates an plate security reinforcement cutouts for home n business use. A hebo machine has been calling me out at night in my dreams.lol

I saw a bit here on IFI back in 2012, yet didn't reveal any thoughts nor input given.

Have a substantial sized smithy, soon to be live n dangerous.lol. So equipment size isn't much of a issue as is the capacity n abilities of cnc system.
I have of course been called by several in the industry of cnc sales. An of course theirs are the absolute best.

I am wanting the most bang for my buck, capability to broaden my service work offered.

Will I regret a smaller 4ft x 4ft table, or bite the bullet n go 5ft x 10ft. Would like to import options to where I could expand into plastic, wood, engraving ect.

Anyhow, that's asking allot I realize. Although I know there's a ton of very knowledgeable folks here. Thanks ahead of time brothers,,, Ty

Ty

The most important consideration, in my opinion, is to have a product(s) that is salable.  Do you have enough customers to justify the expenditure of many thousands of $$ to justify the outlay?  Do you have the electrical feed necessary to support this machine?   Do you have a marketing plan?  All custom parts?   Product liability insurance?   I know the jump from a CNC plasma that could do 3/8" to 3/4 " is substantial. 

Just throwing some thoughts into the mix.

Josh.

I too would like to get cnc for my plasma. I have a large 65 unit, modern inverter type. I recently changed my torch as the new one uses much cheaper consumables, for me this has meant a major cost reduction. A number of torches 'are' interchangeable the distributors just don't want consumers to know that.  It's simply a case of changing the attachment that carries the current and the air. 

A number of years back I came real close to getting a Plasmacam table like a friend of mine has. Unfortunately the job fell thru before I got the table. the local tech school uses a Plasmacam table as well. Torchmate is another contender I've looked at. They were bought up by Lincoln I believe and their prices have gone up since then. Advantage of the Torchmates was that they had a wider variety of sizes and price ranges, though they weren't all that far off from the Pcams if you compared similar systems.

I've talked to a few guys who have small shops who bought the small 2x2 Torchmate tables. To me those always seemed too small, but if you don't do large pieces or big runs I could see that being an advantage in a small shop.

Table won't change the thickness you can cut. That's a factor of the torch you buy. I had bought a Hypertherm PM 1000 since my use was planning to cut 3/8" stainless regularly at speed. It will cut 3/4" no problem, but at a drastically reduced speed if you want a decent edge. The newer Hypertherms can be had with computer hookups direct to the table computer to allow for different options mine won't let me do. Don't skimp on the cutter. Go way bigger than you think you need on a CNC table as you will want to be able to run the table at speed to be productive. While lower powered machines can cut thicker materials, you speed has to drop to get a good edge quality. With a bigger machine, you can run faster on thicker stuff if need be and always turn it down for thinner stuff.

One of the best people to talk to about plasma systems is Jim Colt from Hypertherm who is on several different sites like Weldingweb, Miller and Hobart I believe. He's has several different tables that he owns himself ( I know he has a 2x2 torchmate, a Plasmacam ( possibly 2) and a bigger Torchmate if I recall, as well as having worked with a number of others. He also won't lead you wrong on plasma cutters. He works for Hypertherm, but has tested most cutters out on the market and will be honest if a different unit will work for what you want. He will explain the pluses as well as the minuses of all systems.

Thanks for the input Josh. Product liability didn't enter my thought process honestly. Wow, guess I need to rethink some things in regards to all this? Very good points,,,

Electrical was well thought out here in the woods. Have 1 main 100amp feed to a second 100amp box with emergency shutdown or lockout needs located at hammer n forge location centralized. Lack equipment just yet.
Ran the largest electrical wiring for single phase anyones seen outside a commercial or military fobs.
Currently have 6 220/240 outlets however that goes. One rated to run 15hp 75amps all day long. An spin the meter too.lol

One throw, n all working bench, hammer, air compressor an overhead work area outlets are dead or locked out against accidental engagement, which happens.
Shared a story of my dog Jake in past post. Realize it may be considered overkill perhaps. Yet accidents do certainly happens unfortunately.

No potential customers yet. Strike One. No business plan otherthan what God shared with me. Strike 2. No invoice for custom parts.
Yet not operating yet either. Strike 3.
Marketing plan, by the seat of my pants. Strike 4.lol

Interesting points, appreciate the wisdom an intent Josh.
No matter how I too run thru all the unknowns. I think odds will be stacked against me. Now I am asking myself that too?

Yet have a very strong Spirit, an failure has never been a good option in my life. Although have failed before, yet beat the odds.

Determination an will to fight an advance n overcome any adversary n circumstances. Yep. But I know also my age n physical injuries n marbles aren't always a Go,,,
Regardless of a guys will, I still have many bad days n nights.

Wow, some very good points Josh. I hate ya by the way now. Laughing.Smile

An this is my largest endeavor taken granted. Yet, no one out there will hired a guy with spinal injuries or doesn't play kindergarten games well. So what options do I have?

Hmmmn, I got it,,, I'll reenter the USA southern border illegally which is legal really. N the benefits they hand out are awesome. Don't even have to work? Oh yeah babygirl n free meals, phones, college, social security for life. Grants to all that follow, free complimentary bag of weed from the waste house. sign me up dude,,,lol Just some starcasm n joke there.

Really good points Josh. I know I am taking on a big load n chance here. Just don't trust the manipulation of the markets an have since baled out.

Maybe I should talk to someone much wiser than myself? I'll send a pm later. Thanks for the advive an questions very much. Ty

DSW, thanks very much. I am going to give serious thought to your information you stated. Sounds like you really looked into it. Really appreciate the time you took to tell me all that too.
Too bad that deal didn't pan out for ya. Yet, that's always a gamble an most buy the best bser out there today. You wouldn't happen to have his number by chance? Jim guy.
When I say 3/4", that be a rarity. Most would be much lighter materials being used.

Speed of production for myself is a nip slow anyhow. Yet anything a guy can do to save time n money is good stuff.

One dealer has a lease to buy with optional to trade tables if need arises. Although that all takes money too. You guys have gave me some good questions an ideas. Thanks very much.

I am thinking it'll be very tough to recoup the funds paid out for a cnc system n other equipment too. Age n physical state will be a factor to how well I do. Doing good work isn't a problem, yet turning a profit may be veryyy challenging?
As there's a ton of folks out there up n running with a proven track run with knowledgeable staff to boot. Always a big chance for us little guys out there today.

Going to take all your advice an look into area much more throughly. Maybe all this is to much of a pipe dream?
Surprised there wasn't further thoughts on all this? Yet very much appreciate the amount I received too.

Best dig in an research more ideas an opportunities perhaps. If you guys have any further thoughts, please do say hey. I really am listening an taking it all in. Thanks, Ty

My recommendation would be to make sure you need one. When I looked at buying one I wanted to make sure it wouldn't sit idle much and it would be worth the floor space. Since I didn't want to go into the cutting business I found someone who had one that need some extra business. He sets up new jobs for free and all I have to do is drop him an email with an order and pick it up a week or so later. For me this has worked very well.

Ty   Just read all of your replies.  A CNC plasma is a great tool.  If you have the means to play, it is a nice toy to have.  If you have to make $$ with it, that is what I was talking about above.  Sort of like my museum of anvils and stuff.  I do not have to make anything off of it, so it is my big toybox.  But if it had to support itself, it would probably not exist.  Just not enough people like us out there that would PAY to see this kind of stuff.  So my marketing plan is to just preserve industrial history for a couple of decades, and share it with anyone interested.  Talk to professional blacksmiths and fabricators in your region and explore your market before you invest big $$.  Ask if they have a need for custom parts, and see if the need is already being met locally.