I Forge Iron

Lean-to shop, rain suction to the inside

I am putting the final touches on my shop, which is a wooden lean-to. It is 12X10, and at the top of the lean to it is 12 feet tall. 

I am noticing that when it begins to rain heavily, even if it is raining straight down, the rain curves and begins to fall inside the lean to where the 12 foot peak is. 

Why is this happening? Is there a suction created inside the shop? 

What is a good solution to this problem? 

Thanks, 

Patrick

Not to mention a bit larger footprint under the roof. You can catelever out 1/2 the widthe of the structure with the aproriatly sized lumber.
If you are thinking of adding a second shed to the front in the futer consider a clearstory, by covering the front, top 4' of the building. This will let you have light and ventilation if you sorce used windows.

Looks like you will have to finish it up with some walls, lol. But It looks good. Around here every time a storm cumes up a bunch o palisade fences go down (non contact rated 4x4s) you may be able to score the panels free of of creags list, gives you 6' 1x4" wall boards. If you want weather risistant and ventilation alternate the boards.

What typically happens is that air rising(wind) accelerates  along the top roof and curls over(like the crest of a wave). This phenomenon is often why 'lean-to' roofs  blow away in relatively light wind. You need very little wind and the upward slope creates accelerated movement and lift(suction think top of aircraft wing) then the curl over 'pushes up' from the bottom and disaster strikes. So quite by accident you may have constructed an aircraft wing section.

I would definitely close the back wall.  If you can, add a small angle as mentioned above to the front.  I would also be sure to connect the front and back posts with a 2x4 or 2x6, just to increase its strength structurally.  It looks like you have this on one side.  Definitely do the other.